Does anyone use an Iphone and another phone, switching SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ferris23, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

AT&T is telling me that I can't switch the SIM From my iPhone 4 into another smartphone because the data plans are different.

I as hoping to use a SIM card adapter and pick up a Captivate or a future Android release and just switch back and forth as I wanted, just swapping the SIM in whichever phone I wanted to use.

From what the AT&T rep has told me, if I do that I will lose my iPhone data plan when the SIM is put into a non iPhone.

Is this accurate? If you have an iPhone that's basically the only phone you can use unless you want to screw up your plan?

Any advice on how I could accomplish doing what I want here, using an iPhone 4 and another smartphone with the same SIM just at different times?

Thanks

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

yes, it is possible, I do it all the time.

You will lose the Unlimited data plan if you have been grandfathered, However the used to be more problematic about it before, now they standardized the Data plans as Data 200MB and Data pro 2GB.

The data plan will change every time you change the phone. I done it on the same phone number about 4 or 5 times on the same billing cycle. no issues.

3. tkao2025 macrumors regular

I think you should be fine with Android, but if you ever switch to a BB...you will need to be on a BB plan.

I don't see why they would stop you from switching especially with the new plans. If you go over the MB's, they can just charge you more.

4. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'll lose my unlimited data plan?

That can't happen so I guess this is a no go. :(

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes, that is possibly what the CR was trying to tell you, if you are grandfathered on the unlimited plan and you change your SIM to a non-iphone phone, the system will replace the data plan for the correct one and they are unable to give you the unlimited plan back once you decided to go back to your iPhone.

6. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Well that pretty much sucks. Thanks for the heads up though.