Does anyone use any protective film on their MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by weezite, Dec 29, 2008.

1. weezite macrumors regular

Mine's brand new and I want to keep it that way. I'm scared to death of scratching the aluminum, wearing out the trackpad, or even just smudging the screen. I use a Power Support Anti-Glare film on my iPhone and I see that they offer the same product for MacBook screens. Also, for the laptop's case, I was thinking about getting an Invisishield protector. Does anyone here use either of these products? Or, do you have any alternative suggestions? Thank you for your help, guys?

2. econoline06 macrumors 6502

econoline06

I tried and its all crap. The application process is ridiculous. Just get a nice "incase" brand sleeve.

3. weezite thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I already purchased an White Incase Sleeve, I'm just worried when it's out of the case.

4. thetinman macrumors member

thetinman

Take it back and get a plastic white macbook!

Can't see the point in getting a lovely alu macbook and then want to cover it in plastic!!!!:eek:

5. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Sofa, meet slipcover. Slipcover, sofa.

6. oc2pus macrumors member

InvisibleShield on my black MacBook... my wife had to help me applying it, but it's definitely worth the hassle.

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I don't understand why people are so worried. What are you people doing that makes you think you need some crappy plastic film on your MacBooks.

8. weezite thread starter macrumors regular

I don't plan on doing anything, but I'd like to be covered just in case anything happens. I feel like this thing is my first child and I don't want anything to happen to it.

9. MooneyFlyer, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I haven't gotten a sleeve yet because my laptop bag is just barely big enough to fit my MB as it is. One thing that I did do is get one of the keyboard sized micro-fiber cloths. I put it over the keyboard/trackpad/wrist rest area when I close the screen. It keeps the inevitable grease from my hands from transferring to the screen.

The one I got was: http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

It's a little thicker than I'd like but it does the job and I'm happy with it. And, it doesn't seem to interfere with the MB going to sleep with the screen closed.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I use track pad film on my BlackBook. It's great so far.

11. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Just relax and use your new computer.........

12. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Plastic covers: bah

It's like covering your furniture in plastic! The aluminum macbook is a beautiful computer. Don't besmirch it with plastic wrap. That's a crime against aesthetics. Get yourself a good case instead. Stucano Workout is the best I've seen. I returned an Incase sleeve because it really didn't fit the Macbook properly. Take a deep breath, and relax. Oh, and be careful of watch bands and rings. They could cause scratches on the wrist rest.

13. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

That's an old and tired analogy that doesn't work -- at least for me. It's not really comparing apples to Apples.

^ Which is exactly why some people use plastic to protect their expensive computers. I don't, but for those who choose to -- go for it! I have seen the Invisishield (?) on a co-workers Macbook and it looked pretty good. Hardly noticeable but a much better (stickier?) grip.

For the OP, I understand you do have to schedule several hours to apply it but it has quite a warranty.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I use the Speck hard case and after seeing what happens after some tools fall on one of these, I am GLAD I got one.

15. killasapo macrumors member

killasapo

YES YES Speck is the bomb i love there satin see thru case

but now i'm in search of something for the keys and wrist rest areas of my pretty macbook :confused:

16. dv3 macrumors newbie

i got the invisible shield from zagg and slapped it on my new alu macbook right away. if u apply it right u cant really tell its on there. i try to take good care of it and it always manages to rub up against something. luckily with the plastic it just rubs off. very nice absolutely love it.

17. therealdt macrumors regular

no. I plan to get a sleeve, when placing in my backpack. Feel it. Use it. Love it.

18. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

I got the Incase Neoprene Sleeve Plus even though I only have a 13" Macbook, because it comes with handles and a shoulder strap (and the 13" version does not. However, a few days ago I ordered a full-body Invisible Shield from Zagg.com (30% off everything until end of 2008), so we'll see how that works out.

19. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

APPLE O.C.D. But seriously, those plastic films are near impossible to apply. just be careful with your macbook and enjoy it. you WILL get a scratch on it one day. you'll cry about it for a day or two but you'll get over it, really not a big deal.