Does anyone use Entourage?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeremy6044, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jeremy6044 macrumors regular

That's my question. And if so, why do you like it over mail.app, ical, etc.?

2. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

I use it for my works Exchange server and Hotmail.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Short of "real" Outlook for the Mac, or my IT department opening up IMAP, Entourage is my best available option. OWA just bites.

4. saxman macrumors 6502

^^^ ditto.

Exchange server with no IMAP ports = no Apple Mail for me. I've used Entourage since I've switched to Mac b/c of this issue. Never really used mail

5. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I use it as a convenient holder for all my mail archives from my Pre-mac days ("the dark years").

Apart from that, no, I steer clear.

SL

6. jeremy6044 thread starter macrumors regular

oh, so it's only if you're using it for work and have an exchange server forwarding your mail from your work account?

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

In my case, yes. In fact, because of the way my IT handled the switch to Exchange 2003, I have to point to the webmail URL and recover it into Entourage from there. Works exactly the same as it did when I was connected to the server via VPN.

I just wish Outlook had the Project Center tab. I love that, but since I can't do anything with my workmates with it, it's just more work. Shame, too, it's the best feature of Entourage over Outlook.

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I use it. I can't remember why. I just like the interface better. When I first switched to Macs, I imported all of my contacts from Outlook to Entourage.

9. majorp macrumors 6502

10. walnuts macrumors 6502

I use entourage for my work e-mail. Its an exchange e-mail and I think entourage is better equiped to handle a work-level e-mail. IIts good too because I don't necessarily want to mingle my work and personal contacts nor my calendar events. I sync entourage as a separate calendar to ical and it works well.

On the other hand, I use mail.app for my personal e-mail. It handles the lighter e-mail load and less intense organizational need very well. It does quicklook attachments, which I think is really cool.

11. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

I use mail.app 3.1, no entourage here. Once upon a time I was an Entourage user back in the early days of Microsoft Office v. X and mac : office 2004, until it messed up with my archived mails... :apple:

12. Dogfood1 macrumors newbie

I have been back and forth with numerous mail apps. I used Apple Mail (I), I used Thunderbird, I used Entourage 2004, I used Apple Mail (II - Leopard version) and I've used the web interfaces for Gmail for a time exclusively. There are probably others but memory fades...

Anyway, I got Office '08 and went back to Entourage. Sad fact of the matter, for all the M$ hate, this is one application that does everything (Contact Managment, Email, Calendar, etc...) inclusive and seamlessly.

The way OS X does it - separate applications for each function is certainly more aesthetically pleasing but it seems like it: 1) Goes out of it's way to demonstrate the simplicity of the apps which 2) Makes them feel less like "professional applications" and more like something I would have used in college or something for the hipster housewife (no offense to hipster housewives, I have one myself).

While I am no fan of M$, if you have to work in the business environment, or on the fringes like I do, Entourage just works better IMHO.

Dogfood1

13. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

i used to be exclusive web based, but that got annoying, so i use mail.app, there are some problems with it... like it won't delete my aol mail for some reason. I hate entourage 2004, when i get 2008... we will see i guess....:rolleyes:

EDIT: the only micro.... i use is word, excel, powerpoint.... MSN 4 MAC IS A JOKE