Does anyone use facetime on Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by penfan82, Mar 27, 2011.

1. penfan82 macrumors regular

and how good does it work? im probably holding out buying ipad until may after I pay my best buy card down a bit.... just curious if facetime is really usable or is it hype

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What metric do you propose to use to quantify your ambiguous terms of "good," "useable," and "hype"? It's about a 6 on the "good" scale, a 4 on the "useable" scale, and a 1 on the "hype" scale. Is that clear?

3. gatearray macrumors 65816

I have only used FT as a novelty once or twice on the iPhone, and actually wasn't very into it, but I have to say, I was quite surprised to find FaceTime on the iPad is a much better experience and waaayyyy more futuristic! :)

4. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Use it all the time to see the kiddies at bed time when I'm traveling.

5. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

It works great. FaceTime with my parents monthly.

6. guitardogcar macrumors member

Agreed.

Grainy goodness = 6

Annoying because few enough have or are on FaceTime when you are = 4

Hype is advertising created, not people buzzing = 1

gdc

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I use it a lot since I'm in a long distance relationship.

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

I tried it once while at Starbucks. I don't know if it was Internet connection or what, but it didn't work that well. Screen kept stuttering and freezing & sound going in and out too.

9. Stovepiper macrumors member

Used it two or three times since getting my iPad 2 to chat with family and friends. It works great as far as I'm concerned and was a positive experience for all involved. My wife just ordered her own iPad 2 and we plan to Facetime while I'm at work so she can show me what the kids are up to.

Could the video quality be better? Sure, but it's perfectly acceptable as is.

10. dacalo macrumors member

It works well but has bugs

I use it daily to talk to my fiancee but it has some bugs. I have experienced the freezing bug which has been discussed in the media but also when I minimize facetime to do something else while it's running in the background and then return back to facetime, sometimes the camera shows my own camera instead of her's. It still has audio though. This happens almost EVERYTIME and it's annoying as hell. Easily fixed by disconnecting and calling again but this needs to be fixed.

11. MMakoto macrumors member

+1 I also have the same problem. It doesn't work with iPhone4 running iOS 4, it has to be at least 4.1, strange.

To answer the stuttering in Starbucks, it probably has to do with the speed of the wifi connection.

12. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I already have too much ios device that already does facetime. Ipod touch 4, both macbooks so I rarely use ipad 2 for facetime -- didn't even set it up yet.

13. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have been using FaceTime the last two days to communicate with my parents and my brother. The quality is acceptable, good I would say. I haven't experienced any slowdowns whatsoever and I think I am going to use it more than on the iPhone.

14. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I FaceTime with family during the months when I'm away from home for college, and I loveee it. Last school year I relied on Video chatting on iChat, but it's definitely not as personal as FaceTiming, and it's less convenient because you both have to sit by the computer during the duration of your video conference, and you can't really do much else. But with FaceTime on the iPhone, I can video chat with my parents virtually wherever I want, and my parents don't have to sit by the computer--they could be in the kitchen, outside, or cooking dinner.

The iPad is a similar experience, but I personally prefer using the iPhone to FaceTime, because it's easier to move around and prop against things because of it's small size. Also, because I FaceTime with my family daily or every other day, we sometimes we just like to have the video conference chat open while I'm doing something else, and I like it because I can see them daily and feel like im somewhat in the same room as them. But I sometimes like to multitask on my iPad as well, so that's why I'd choose to FaceTime on the iPhone instead. Though they're both great.

15. str8spd2001 macrumors regular

str8spd2001

My Parents been face timing me ever since they received their iPad 2 last week. They enjoy talking to their grandkids, especially now their actually able to see them as well hear them. Overall the picture quality is ok, no lag what so ever. It's a great novelty but probably not for everyone.

16. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

17. HazChem macrumors regular

I've used it to see my kids when I'm at a hotel traveling. The amount of graininess is dependent on the amount of light.

It's making my iPad that much more useful to me!

18. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I used it a lot on the touch and the new MacBook (where FaceTime HD actually is HD). It works fine on the iPad but the larger screen exposes just how bad the camera is, and since most FaceTime calls happen at night the poor sensor works horribly in typical indoor lighting (sitting in bed/regular living room lights) we definitely arent using it as much as we thought we would.

19. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

It works.

20. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

21. mwjd299 macrumors regular

I use FaceTime all of the time. I talk with my son in Las Vegas. He used his iPhone and I had my iMac, now we both have iPads. We both have portability now. I was tied to my desktop, now I'm not. :)

22. Durious macrumors 6502

Been travelling for work last week and this week so I talk with my wife on it every night, works great!

23. aserafin macrumors member