Does anyone use it only as a watch or fitness tracker?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by noobinator, Mar 27, 2016.

1. noobinator, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016

noobinator macrumors 601

Just curious if anyone has one and wears it but turns off all notifications on it and only uses it to tell time or as a fitness tracker? We spend way more on Other watches that just tell time. Just curious if anyone uses this minus the notifications.

I really just like the way the watches look and am not interested in receiving notifications on my wrist!

2. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

Just my opinion, but I think you'd be spending much more than you need to for just those two functions. It's your money though. So, if you really love the look that much, go for it.

There are other ways to track your fitness and get the time that are much less expensive and, in my view, look way nicer.

3. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I agree with PaladinGuy on this one. There are other fitness trackers available for much less than have the same , and in other cases more, capable that are much cheaper. In my case however I got it on sale on the holidays and I really like it besides the annoyances of a couple of bugs and apps taking forever to load. I use it for both telling the time, receiving notifications and fitness tracking ( both cardio and weightlifting). For me at least I could justify the price because as you can see I use the full breath and butter of it's features.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Interesting. Is this because you'd receive too many notifications such that they'd be disruptive? My wife has Mail turned off on her AW (because she gets way too many email). Others use VIP. Speaking of which, Apple needs to implement VIP for Messages.

5. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Why?

This is like buying a 4 bed rooms wide open house only to sleep at night, so only put a mattress in the house for sleeping without any other furniture.

If you get a watch, it is ok to test it all. if you don'y like any feature, turn it off.
    Once you and people around you realize how less annoying with phone muted, you and them will appreciated the beauty of silence.

6. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I've thought of experimenting by wearing my AW solely for workouts for a week, but I'd be missing out on the other cool things it does.

Its notifications also let me keep the phone quiet and out of my way. I don't even let my phone vibrate anymore.

7. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

I've tried to only wear it for workouts, too. I always end up feeling like I'm not really using it enough.

As a watch lover, it's so hard for me to strap on a tech gadget instead of my Omega.

8. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

I should also mention I don't do notifications in general. Not even on my phone (I get them but they are silent). I leave on DND all the time and silent with only calls from a select few coming through. If I want to see what's going on in my phone I wake it and check the notifications.

I wear watches and have a few not so amazing watches that are a few hundred bucks and I much prefer the look of the Apple Watch to some of my regular watches so I was considering getting one because I like the look and the fitness stuff is an added bonus if I so choose.

I might try out some of the other features too but who knows. It's also not that expensive now in terms of watches. I could buy something much cheaper to tell the time or for fitness but this is true of any product. There's always cheaper available.

9. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

Sounds like you would enjoy it then. Go for it.

10. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

As far as features go, notifications are there, but still not necessarily all there is other than telling time and fitness tracking. Personally, I only really use alarms and text notifications on mine, but still get plenty of use out of the watch, as I can control other apps with it, as well as do things like quickly reply to messages or use Siri from it. I've also answered calls pretty often on it, which has helped a lot.

I'd say it's worth it if you'll use other functionality, so don't let the idea of turning off notifications put you off of the Watch. It's a very cool product, and with the near constant $100 off sales it makes it more reasonable.

11. kingdLo macrumors 6502

I never used to be into watches but received mine as a gift(SBSS), and now wear daily. And the only notifications I get are Messages, nothing else. So my uses are fitness, watch, and message notifications.