Does anyone use lotus notes and spotlight for search?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bottomsup, May 21, 2011.

1. Bottomsup macrumors regular

I've heard it can be buggy for email search and not display the "last accessed date" for archived emails correctly. I'm thinking of buying a Mac and email search is of the utmost importance to me. The internal notes search stinks and I don't like it.

On windows I use X1.

Thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

When I saw this thread I thought "Are you serious?" The software I hate the most on Windows is Slotus Bloats so why in the heck would I run such a thing on my Mac? :eek:

As for searching email in spotlight, I suppose if Notes was set up as your default ...
    < hold on a second while I hyperventilate >
    ... email client on OS X...
    < Someone get the paddles! CLEAR!!! >
    Ok, I'm better now... (I think...)

I suppose if Notes was your default OS X email client then Spotlight would look there.

I use Mail.app routinely and while it is a known universe better than notes, I'm really not totally happy with even with Mail.app. When I want to do something a little more involved, I use Thunderbird. I won't go near Entourage or Outlook but it's just a matter of personal preference. If you are on a good rapport with your IT guy, I would think you could ask him to set up your company Notes "domino" server to allow mail.app to come in as a client and then you would know for sure that Spotlight search of Notes email would work. I can say that on my Mac, Spotlight doesn't see inside Thunderbird and I've never bothered investigating why. I just assume that if Thunderbird was the default mail app, Spotlight could see inside it. Perhaps this is something I could tweak in Spotlight settings if I wanted to.

3. Bottomsup thread starter macrumors regular

Trust me I don't lust over notes either but I work for IBM so I have to use it :)

Its overall note that bad but is a little slow running inside eclipse