Does anyone use POT?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by killr_b, Apr 25, 2007.

1. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Does anyone use POT for potentiometer when they're on set or at work on a mixer?

I just got into a huge argument with an audio guy about it. He said they are "slots" or "channels" if I like, but he'd never heard of POT?

I know I'm right, but I want to know if the other pro's here run into these unschooled audio peeps a lot.

Also, I know there is a thread of "best thread titles" and this is my toss in the hat. :D

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Thinking about it, just in general for electronics stuff, if I bother to identify them at all, I tend to call the twisty kind a pot, but the slidey kind a slider.

Even more often than that, I tend to call any mechanical or electrical/electronic device or component a "thingy" (with a few descriptive adjectives), just because.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

My prof in college used pot, so I learned pot, but I think pot might be more of an old school term. It's also short for a technical term so if the audio guy didn't have any formal education I doubt he would have heard of pot/potentiometer. It's kinda like saying "intervolometer" vs "time lapse" one is more technical while the other is more laymen.

Lethal

4. killr_b thread starter macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Okay, I can understand the easy to use vs. not so easy.

This guy was in front of the audio board and I said open pot 1.
    I think he was mostly upset because he probably didn't have a formal education… and I made it obvious. Oops. :p
    Good point. ;)

5. USMaC macrumors member

USMaC

I tried it once, but I didn't inhale.

(Someone had to post it)

6. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

This reminds me of when my roommate came out of his room and announced dejectedly that he had smoked his pot. It turns out it was just a design fault in his project.

7. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Absolutely nothing wrong with what you said. The guy must not know a whole lot. I can't believe he wouldn't have heard that before.

Everybody I work with knows pot (some actually even called it potentiometer), but they're all smart people.