Does anyone use proxy editing in FCPX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ben1257sb, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ben1257sb macrumors newbie

My macbook pro has been slow with editing lately on my HD footage in FCPX so I decided to try proxy editing. After converting all my footage to a proxy form, I am still having trouble. Yo see, after converting my footage to proxy form, I right click on my footage and view in finder and it takes me to the original source media that is full resolution. Shouldn't it take me to my proxy footage?

Am I supposed to reimport the proxy footage into FCPX to edit in proxy or what? How does this whole proxy thing work? Any suggestions?

I just want to make editing a wee bit smoother and id love some help form some more professionals :) THANKS!

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Bumping this thread since I have the EXACT same problem. I'm giving proxy editing a go in FCPX right now but I really don't get it. It seams slower to convert this all...and when I go to export if its in a crappy low res proxy format how does it know to magically go back to say 1080p from the source? Is that what it does? I figured I would try it on a less than important project but it really confuses me and I see people talking about editing online and offline all the time and I get that the full res version is CPU intensive but..idk can someone explain this better?

3. ben1257sb thread starter macrumors newbie

NATEO200!

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

So in FCPX, go up to preferences. Once there, theres a box that lets you check or uncheck proxy editing. Once you select proxy editing, FCPX references the low quality footage for speedy editing. If you exported it with that box checked, IT WILL STILL USE THE PROXY FOOTAGE. Make sure before you export, go back and uncheck proxy. It will give you the circle loady thingy which is a good sign because it means FCPX is switching everything back for you.

It's amazing. I love proxy. It makes my mac edit like a champ and when I'm done, I just switch it over to full quality and bam! donezo :)