Does anyone use the application CandyBar?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eyebeaz, Apr 15, 2007.

1. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

I want to customize the icons on my dock, and I was just curious if anyone has used this program to do it? I know they can be changed rather simple without a program, but I am worried about messing with the default icons like the finder icon. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It works great for me...I highly recommend it. Same with Pixadex if you have a large icon collection.

Just make sure that you set Candybar to check for updates automatically...sometimes Apple changes stuff in the OS and it might take the Candybar folks a day or two to update the software to work seamlessly with it.

3. JDN macrumors 6502a

I use CandyBar for everything. Very fast, easy to use, and reliable.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've used it since it first came out and I've no complaints with it at all – it's a great little app.

5. eyebeaz thread starter macrumors 6502

So you basically just download your own icons, and you use candybar to apply them? And candybar is a program you have to buy correct? Thanks.

6. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Two ways you can do it, either iContainers which is a complete icon set, or drag and change 1 icon if you please.

Drag an icon into its well (placeholder) and apply. Don't want it? drag out out and apply.

[​IMG]

Yeah candybar is the one http://www.panic.com/candybar/

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I download icons from interfacelift and iconfactory mainly. Candybar is $12.95. I used to have a tons of icons, so I also own Pixadex, which makes it easier to store collections, interfaces nicely with Candybar and has a QuickDrop feature, where you can select an icon in Pixadex and just drag any file or folder from the Finder over the QuickDrop area and it just changes the icon.

8. eyebeaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. So since my last post I have downloaded CandyBar and several icons, and it is working great so far. The one icon that won't seem to change (despite being changed in the actual applications folder) is the Dashboard icon. I have restarted my computer and everything. Any ideas, or has anyone else experienced this?

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

At least for me, it seems if you change an Icon of an application (like Dashboard) that's in the Dock, you have to pull it out of the Dock and then pull it from the Applications folder and place it over the Dock to put it back in again.

10. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

That usually doesn't work. I thought CandyBar let you do this? I'm sure I did it with CandyBar!

11. eyebeaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I tried that as well.. very weird.

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I just tried it, and right now it's not working for me either with any of the dock icons (Finder, Trash or Dashboard).

Update: Found out I was actually running the old version 2.6...and updating to 2.6.1 corrected this problem for me. You should be on 2.6.1 if you just downloaded it...make sure you are changing the icon in Candybar, if you install a custom icon in the Finder or Pixadex for Dashboard, it will display in the Finder, but the Dock will display the one in Candybar.