iPad Does anyone use the iPad as their sole computer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sandwich Jumper, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Sandwich Jumper macrumors newbie

When deciding between a Mac Air and iPad, can the iPad be used as a laptop?

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Unless you only use your laptop for basic web surfing and watching videos, Youtube, Facebook, then no an iPad cannot replace a laptop.

3. Thecool111 macrumors newbie

I use it as my main computer. I enjoy it a lot.

4. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

Considering that my job consists of editing and writing tens of thousands of words a day along with editing in Photoshop, editing large video files, dealing with HTML code, etc...

I'm gonna go with NO! :D

5. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

I keep my MacBook Pro at home as my 'desktop' and my iPad is basically my travel device.

For me personally, I can get away with using it for a good amount of time, but I won't be able to go weeks without my OSX machine for a while.

6. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

7. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Depends on what your needs are. It can be done though.

9. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I had to use my iPad and a wireless keyboard as my only computer with my NAS. You can do this, but you have to be very creative.

Fortunately, the money came in from selling my mac mini ebay and I ended up with a refurb rMBP.

I love my iPad, but I only use it when I'm on campus. The macbook pro generally stays at home.

TLDR: You can get by with an iPad as your only machine, but not comfortably. Get the Macbook air.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

As much as Apple would like to make you think it's a computer replacement; just just a glorified media consumption device.

11. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

maybe if you could somehow use a trackpad with a bluetooth keyboard, otherwise i wouldn't like the touch screen to navigate.

12. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

When has Apple said they wanted it to be a computer replacement?

13. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

About a year ago, my iMac stopped working, I didn't immediately have the funds to replace so had to use my iPad as main computer. I coped, it was possible. Although I was very happy when I got by new macbook.

14. mcmul macrumors 6502

No but I imagine it replaces the PC for most people. My wife users her iPad in combination with a notebook and pen; it works great for her.

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

You can use a BT mouse (and maybe a trackpad) if you jailbreak.

----------

You are incorrect.

http://ipadonly.net/

16. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

If your employer provides you with a computer for work, then it is very possible to get by with an iPad as your only personal computer. Don't believe this stuff about the iPad being for media consumption only......absolutely untrue. There are a wide range of productive things that you can do with an iPad that are helpful in your personal life......finances, document management, photo organization and editing.....the list goes on and on. You will need to rely more on cloud storage, but I see that as a good thing over the long hall because all of your documents and photos are synced and accessible from your phone and other devices.

I suspect that many young people graduating from college will not bother purchasing a regular computer, if their employer provides one for work. They will be much more comfortable using mobile operating systems to get stuff done in their personal lives. They will also be much more comfortable with cloud computing and storage.

17. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

I've barely used my laptop since I got my rMini about a week ago. Only time I've actually turned on my laptop is to scan a couple of applications for my boyfriend since he is looking for a local job. He's currently an over the road truck driver. And that, could have been done from my ipad.

18. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

19. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have used Genius Scan on my phone. It works pretty well and there is no extra hardware.

20. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

I have been using it solely as my PC since it came
    out.

21. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Are you the one who did the iPadonly.net site?

I remember it being some one here.

22. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Offcourse u can use an iPad instead of a computer!
    Easy peacy.

I dont. But some ppl may. Perfect for ppl who really doesnt need a computer. Such as some parents and grandparents..

Me is to much of a gadget/tech guy.

23. Altis macrumors 68000

It will all depend entirely on personal needs. Many things can be done, but can take a lot more work. And some things are just not really possible or ideal.

For example, if you ever use more than 1 application at a time (such as writing an email while looking at a web page), or if you want a larger screen, hard drive storage, USB devices, file storage, user accounts, etc.... You may find it inconvenient. Some web pages won't load properly, and the site may have an app, but it might be limited.

Ultimately, a Surface 2 / Pro 2 would be a far more qualified replacement to a traditional computer as it addresses pretty much all of the shortcomings.

24. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

That's the last thing Apple would want you to think, being that they have a full line of computers to sell you.