Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacericg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I have several apps that when I put them in Trash, they didn't actually go away. I wonder if I need to use an Uninstaller App. Does anyone use these?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have several apps that when I put them in Trash, they didn't actually go away. I wonder if I need to use an Uninstaller App. Does anyone use these?
If you elect to use uninstaller apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I use appcleaner, it's free. It still removes more than just dragging it to the trash so it's better than that. I'm not sure why people want to insinuate it's all or nothing, this is still better than just dragging it to the trash.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use appcleaner, it's free. It still removes more than just dragging it to the trash so it's better than that. I'm not sure why people want to insinuate it's all or nothing, this is still better than just dragging it to the trash.
Read post #2 regarding these apps. AppCleaner is one of the least effective of such apps.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Read post #2 regarding these apps. AppCleaner is one of the least effective of such apps.

Try it and see if you think removing more than just dragging to trash is better op.

I read it and it's ridiculous to think it's not better than dragging it to the trash since it still removes more so what's the problem? It's still more effective than dragging it to the trash in the oem method.

I also use disk doctor regularly, got it free, which I'm sure you hate but then again you are just another anonymous keyboard on the internet posting opinion like the rest of us.

The point is I know no uninstaller app does a thorough job uninstalling, but it's still way ahead of the oem method and not all of us have time, or want to make time, to go through and manually search and this is a big step up from while still being drag and drop. None of them are perfect, but they are still better than oem which leaves a lot more stuff.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I read it and it's ridiculous to think it's not better than dragging it to the trash since it still removes more so your posts make no sense. It's still more effective than dragging it to the trash.
If you just want the app uninstalled, dragging the .app to the Trash is all that's required. If you want to maximize recovery of drive space, AppCleaner and others will not do a good job. They delete the .plist files, for example, which are very small files, but may leave behind 1GB or more of other files. Deleting the .plist has zero effect on function and almost zero effect on drive space. The post makes perfect sense.
I also use disk doctor regularly, got it free, which I'm sure you hate but then again you are just another anonymous keyboard on the internet posting opinion like the rest of us.
I'm not posting opinion. I'm stating facts and posting evidence of my research and testing which I've performed over many years, which you can duplicate for yourself.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
If you just want the app uninstalled, dragging the .app to the Trash is all that's required. If you want to maximize recovery of drive space, AppCleaner and others will not do a good job. They delete the .plist files, for example, which are very small files, but may leave behind 1GB or more of other files. Deleting the .plist has zero effect on function and almost zero effect on drive space. The post makes perfect sense.

It makes none, they still remove more than oem which does a far worse job.

I'm not posting opinion. I'm stating facts and posting evidence of my research and testing which I've performed over many years, which you can duplicate for yourself.

So what? I've been doing computers since dos, building them. It's still opinion. I have done tests and this app removes more than oem, period. You are getting upset over nothing. Want better than oem, this one certainly is.

I will be making it where I don't read your posts any more, I suggest you do the same for me. I'm tired of ignoring them on other threads also. Adios!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It makes none, they still remove more than oem which does a far worse job.
Removing an app by dragging to the Trash is not a "far worse job" than removing the .app and the .plist file. Both accomplish the same thing... uninstalling the app... and both free up about the same amount of drive space, so there is no significant advantage in using an uninstaller app.
So what? I've been doing computers since dos, building them.
That is completely irrelevant to the facts in this discussion.
I have done tests and this app removes more than oem, period.
As already stated, it doesn't remove as much as other such apps and it frequently leaves behind more than it removes.
You are getting upset over nothing.
I'm not upset in the slightest. I'm simply stating facts.
I will be making it where I don't read your posts any more, I suggest you do the same for me. I'm tired of ignoring them on other threads also.
You are certainly welcome to do so. Some people embrace learning the facts and increasing their knowledge. Some don't. To each, their own.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
To GGJstudios:

Like the forum member you were having the back and forth with, I have been using appcleaner, thinking it must be better than just dragging an unwanted app to the trash. In your judgement is this, in fact not the case? I ask only because I respect your knowledge and the valuable information/advice you have provided in the past.

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
To GGJstudios:

Like the forum member you were having the back and forth with, I have been using appcleaner, thinking it must be better than just dragging an unwanted app to the trash. In your judgement is this, in fact not the case? I ask only because I respect your knowledge and the valuable information/advice you have provided in the past.
It depends on what your goal is.
  • If you just want to remove the app so it doesn't run anymore, you can just drag it to the Trash. You don't need an uninstaller app for that.
  • If your goal is to remove all traces of the app, either because you don't want them on your drive or you're trying to maximize space savings, such apps won't do the job, as they all leave files behind, sometimes larger than the ones they remove.
  • If you want to remove the app and only some of the associated files, for whatever reason, uninstaller apps will clearly do that much.
I don't use or recommend such apps because I'd rather completely clean my drive of files associated with deleted apps. If you want to use such an app, and are aware that it won't remove everything, and you're careful to make sure it doesn't remove something it shouldn't, you'll be fine.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
  • If you just want to remove the app so it doesn't run anymore, you can just drag it to the Trash. You don't need an uninstaller app for that.
  • If your goal is to remove all traces of the app, either because you don't want them on your drive or you're trying to maximize space savings, such apps won't do the job, as they all leave files behind, sometimes larger than the ones they remove.
  • If you want to remove the app and only some of the associated files, for whatever reason, uninstaller apps will clearly do that much.
I don't use or recommend such apps because I'd rather completely clean my drive of files associated with deleted apps. If you want to use such an app, and are aware that it won't remove everything, and you're careful to make sure it doesn't remove something it shouldn't, you'll be fine.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
It IS better than just dragging it to the trash. None are perfect but it gets more than just dragging it to the trash which is better than that, anyone that says it doesn't has some sort of agenda. You have to either get it all or leave it all makes no sense, better to get at least a good part of it than leave it all.

To GGJstudios:

Thanks.

Naio

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2015
If you elect to use uninstaller apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

The instructions you linked to used to work great for me in the past, but with each new OS X version, Spotlight have become worse at finding old applications files (preferences, caches, etc).

Is it because I have unchecked a lot of the files in Spotlight (Documents, Movies, etc)? I always thought that only applied to the pop-up (CMD+SPACE). I don't remember what I unchecked in earlier OS X versions.

Have Apple restricted where Spotlight will search?

Last edited:

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I've had AppZapper for years. It finds all the different files, and gets rid of everything related to the app. Works well.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Have Apple restricted where Spotlight will search?
Read the update at the beginning of those instructions.
I've had AppZapper for years. It finds all the different files, and gets rid of everything related to the app. Works well.
Actually, in all the tests I've run over the years (links posted earlier), the only app worse than AppCleaner was AppZapper.

Michael Anthony

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Australia
I use CleanApp for some bigger pieces of software, especially ones that leave crumbs all over the system. Then again, there's always a chance a newbie will use it and delete something shared by other files and important, though CleanApp tries to protect against this. I use it with the daemon running and logging new installations in the background and it uses the CleanCommunity data to source out as many dirty crumbs as it can find.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
The user saying AppCleaner isn't useful or "doesn't work" is just not true. I've used it for years and it's found everything to uninstall in the past, and most if not all associated files. For example, there are guides - either by the official developer or third party - on how to completely manually uninstall software, and from what I recall, AppCleaner found all those files that the guides will tell you to delete, all in one swoop.

Anyways, I know it to be better than merely deleting the app itself, but sometimes that's all that's required.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
The user saying AppCleaner isn't useful or "doesn't work" is just not true. I've used it for years and it's found everything to uninstall in the past, and most if not all associated files. For example, there are guides - either by the official developer or third party - on how to completely manually uninstall software, and from what I recall, AppCleaner found all those files that the guides will tell you to delete, all in one swoop.

Anyways, I know it to be better than merely deleting the app itself, but sometimes that's all that's required.

Exactly, it deletes a lot more than just dragging it to the trash therefore it's better than that. Stand by for attack for even saying that.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Exactly, it deletes a lot more than just dragging it to the trash therefore it's better than that. Stand by for attack for even saying that.
No one has been attacked. As already stated from the beginning, users should be aware that such apps do not remove all files associated with deleted apps. No one said you shouldn't use them; only that they aren't needed to simply delete an app and they frequently aren't effective in removing all traces of an app. All restated in post #10.
The user saying AppCleaner isn't useful or "doesn't work" is just not true.
Who said it isn't useful or doesn't work? It may be useful to some users. Like all such apps, it works; just not completely effectively.

Last edited:

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2012

I think you just posted a link to here and the person said appcleaner removed some trace but not all. It left like 13 files.

Compared to dragging it to the trash, it is doing a better job and that is what this person just asked.

Dont say it removes nothing

Here is the link you pointed to https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12527023/

In this link it says app cleaner left 11 files of 17 behind, but in your post you just posted, you say app cleaner leaves all behind... and then back to this post you says it doesnt catch all files https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21029642/

My goodness

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Dont say it removes nothing

but in your post you just posted, you say app cleaner leaves all behind...
You need to go back and read my posts. I never said any app "removes nothing" or that it "leaves all behind." You're misreading my posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.