Does anyone Vonage?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by manuminhas, Sep 25, 2008.

1. manuminhas macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to use the VOIP Vonage service on the iPod Touch 2G?

now that the second gen. has a mic in it and all, I should think the app. or hack for it should be release pretty darn soon.

2. iamtherealandy macrumors newbie

There is no mic built into the 2g but apparently the capability does exist.

What totally surprises me is that this topic is not hotter than it appears here. You received ZERO replies about Vonage and I have a question out there about FRING that no one is posting to -- likely because people are not as interested as they should be.

Listen: VOIP for the 2G will ELIMINATE your monthly phone bills. More people should be interested in this.

I hope we get some answers from awesome cool people about both Vonage, Fring, and Skype for the 2g

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I'm interested in this too (especially when a Skype app becomes available), but in reality I think it's a little ambitious to think it'll 'eliminate your monthly phone bills'. While you could probably fairly reliably use VOIP on the Touch in place of your phone while you're in the vicinity of your own wireless network, I don't think it'll be that practical 'on the go', unless you're lucky enough to live somewhere where free wireless is pervasive.

Even at home I'm skeptical that it'll be a practical alternative to either a cell or wired phone yet, but I'm sure its day will come, and it'll come faster if we show an interest in it!

4. buckethead macrumors newbie

You do realize that you will still need an account with someone to provide a connection/gateway to the PSTN so that you can talk to someone on a regular phone line? That is unless everyone you want to talk to is on Fring or Skype or whatever you use - then you have already gotten rid of your home phone. So you will not be able to eliminate you monthly phone bill, yes you can drastically reduce it, but will still need something.

I have not had a chance to play around with Fring and am hopeful that a pure SIP softphone will be approved and released sometime shortly.

5. YodaEXE macrumors member

It won't eliminate it. And besides, VOIP won't take off, at least not very much. There are too many flaws with it that are easily countered with a standard phone plan. Some of the big ones are the fact that, if you lose your internet connection, you lose phone (very rare for that to happen with a standard phone plan), you lose phone if you lose power (you can plug a wired phone into a jack and still make calls), and the 911 doesn't take you directly to the police, adding extra time and problems in that don't need to be there.

6. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

I have a itouch 2g and installed Vonage and can make a call but cant talk or the person cant hear me. There should be a mic on my itouch right?

7. skypilot55 macrumors newbie

There is no built in mic, you need to use an inline one that plugs into the Touch.

I have used the earbuds & mic that came with my BlackBerry with Skype on the Touch, and it works great.

JB

8. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

Anyone recommend a good one to buy for my iTouch so I can make calls with Vonage while on WiFi?

9. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

The wired headset/mic that came with the iPhone worked fine with Vonage on the touch. I could not use a bluetooth headset/mic with it though.

10. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

My iphone 3gs only came with the earpiece. How did yours come with a wired headset/mic?

11. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

It's an earpiece/mic. I was able to talk into it.

12. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

\
    Thats weird that your iphone 3gs came with something different than mine. Mine has the 2 earpieces and the thing that controls the volume + & -.

13. OriginalFormula macrumors regular

That thing that controls the volume has a built in mic. It's the little dot.

14. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

Your so right, im embarrassed to say. ive figured out. thank you for your help.

15. cprevost macrumors newbie

I've tried vonage and it works just fine. No incoming calls though. Outbound calling to any cell or land line in the US is awesome. The app seems to be gone from the app store though. Not sure if apple or vonage pulled it. Also tried and am using whistle. Has both incoming and outgoing calling. Ad supported.

16. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

yeah Vonage isn't available on the US app store, and it hasn't been for some time, at least from what I can see.