Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
The new Photos app still can't replace Aperture (it probably never will) and I'm still not sure about switching to Lightroom's unfamiliar workflow and subscription model.

Reactions: 00sjsl

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
It launches without issue on my end. I have not tried any other extensive functions yet...

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
The new Photos app still can't replace Aperture (it probably never will) and I'm still not sure about switching to Lightroom's unfamiliar workflow and subscription model.
It launches without crashing. However, many features are broken (such as full screen mode).
Same for iWork’09.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Can you install it though? Or must it just be a migrated application?

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
If you have purchased it on the Mac App Store, I'm sure you can find the download on the Purchase tab...

Old Lorenzen

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2017
Yes with a fresh install Aperture is flying, and with the new file system it is much faster. plus the Apple Raw engine have been updated (so I think) since I can recover areas that was underexpoused much better
The only thing that I can't get to work is Flickr uploader

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Anyone tested Aperture's performance in High Sierra on a system with a Fusion drive?

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
It's time to move on from Aperture.

There's plenty of training - videos, books, etc. to help you with Lightroom, and Lightroom can even import your Aperture library

Porsupah

macrumors regular
Late to the party, but yes, Aperture appears to be perfectly fine with High Sierra. ^_^ A huge relief, as I don't get on well with Adobe's UIs, Lightroom included, so that's not a good option. The forthcoming Affinity DAM might be just the ticket, however - I'll be looking forward to seeing that. For now, though - the tool works, so I'll continue to use it as effectively as ever. ^_^

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I'm still on El Capitan on my iMac, debating finally upgrading to High Sierra and moving over to Photos.app with some of the new editing tools (I don't really use particularly advanced features of Aperture, mainly curves, white balance, vignette, and burn/dodge brushes).

Has anyone seen an in-depth review of the High Sierra Photos app that they can share? Are there selective burn/dodge tools, or will we have to lean on third-party extensions to fulfill that kind of editing?

Thanks!

RednBlue

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
Reading UK
New Photos is a great improvement, however I just reinstalled Aperture into High Sierra without any issues - still love that interface - but does anyone know if its possible to copy the Photos library into Aperture without damaging it for Photos? and if so how?

apeterson

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2017

There's plenty of training - videos, books, etc. to help you with Lightroom, and Lightroom can even import your Aperture library
[doublepost=1506195273][/doublepost]Does anyone know an "Aperture AND Lightroom" expert that could help me migrate my Aperture Library to Lightroom, on a "pay for hourly services and training?" THANK YOU!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
With newer iPhones (7 and newer) and iPads using HEVC and HEIF formats, and I suspect Android will soon join the bandwagon (Android P), you will need to give up Aperture some point or another.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I didn't actually run Aperture but I did very briefly test it out on one 10.13 machine. It worked fine.

However, it should be noted that Photos gets some nice improvements in 10.13.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
[doublepost=1506195273][/doublepost]Does anyone know an "Aperture AND Lightroom" expert that could help me migrate my Aperture Library to Lightroom, on a "pay for hourly services and training?" THANK YOU!
Contact Joseph at https://photoapps.expert/1to1

He’s very knowledgeable. Heck there may be enough information at his site (and he also does training at lynda.com) to meet your needs.

I switched to Mylio from Aperture a couple of years ago and couldn’t be happier, especially with regard to having all of my images accessible on my Mac(s), iPad and iPhone. (I don’t like Lightroom.)

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006

The issue is not just Lightroom's learning curve, or its tedious and destructive migration process, but its enormous shortcomings compared to Aperture. And before you respond with examples of LR's great editing features, I'm referring primarily to its inadequacy as a digital asset manager and to its intentional incompatibility with iCloud Photo Library and macOS system library.

Switching to Lightroom essentially forces you to give up Apple's ecosystem and replace it with Adobe's. This—for me—is a non starter.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Yes with a fresh install Aperture is flying, and with the new file system it is much faster. plus the Apple Raw engine have been updated (so I think) since I can recover areas that was underexpoused much better
The only thing that I can't get to work is Flickr uploader
Can you elaborate on what you mean about a 'fresh install' pls? Was it as simple as just deleting the app from your applications folder and then clicking on install from the App Store tab or are you talking about HS?

FJDR

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2017
Hello to all:

I use Aperture 3.6 in my MacBook Pro 17" 2011 running High Sierra.

All works fine, and Aperture uses too less system resources. In fact no need to use the fail dGPU ( Radeon ).

The only thing is the need to initialize iCloud sync each time I open the app. Plus the incompatibility with the new policies with FaceBook and Flickr

All other works excellent.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 14.56.27.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 14.56.27.png
    2 MB · Views: 291

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Don’t know why someone decided to revive this old thread, but reality will bite in September when Catalina (MacOS 10.15) is released, as at that time, Aperture will no longer work at all, even though many of us have been able to use it even in Mojave..... That will be a sad day when Aperture is truly no longer available to us.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.