Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Hi,

I really love Aperture and just can't come around to let it go. At the same time, I'd like to upgrade to El Capitan.

Has anyone been able to verify that Aperture not only boots up but works near flawlessly in El Capitan?

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Same here

Attachments

• El Cap & Aperture 3.6.png
    El Cap & Aperture 3.6.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 736

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
Works for me but it seems noticeably slower then on Yosemite, and has occasional graphical glitches. While the slow down could just be my imagination, the level of speed really just isn't up to what I expect from my iMac so at least in my case it may well be time to actually get started on looking elsewhere... :(

It does work though.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Okay, awesome to hear. I know I'll have to switch some day soon but if I can ride it out another year then I'm down.

Thanks for the replies :)

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Okay, awesome to hear. I know I'll have to switch some day soon but if I can ride it out another year then I'm down.

Thanks for posting this. I am waiting until the wider userbase has El Capitan installed to decide whether I update. For me, Aperture compatibility is more important than upgrading to the latest OS.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks for posting this. I am waiting until the wider userbase has El Capitan installed to decide whether I update. For me, Aperture compatibility is more important than upgrading to the latest OS.
Agreed.

I think El Cap is the release where I'll start to **** around with Photos and editing extensions. I really don't want to go to Lightroom.

Reactions: mpfuchs

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm in a weird situation. Yosemite broke Aperture for me and I thought it was EOL'd. Turns out there was a software update for it in October 2014 that makes it work... but it didn't show up for me in the App Store. I updated to El Capitan tonight and now the update is listed in the App Store but it won't let me download it... it says This item is temporarily unavailable. How do I get it to work?

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I'm in a weird situation. Yosemite broke Aperture for me and I thought it was EOL'd. Turns out there was a software update for it in October 2014 that makes it work... but it didn't show up for me in the App Store. I updated to El Capitan tonight and now the update is listed in the App Store but it won't let me download it... it says This item is temporarily unavailable. How do I get it to work?

Have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling it? I would imagine it would install the updated version.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling it? I would imagine it would install the updated version.
That did the trick thanks... I was worried if I deleted it I wouldn't be able to get it back. Thanks again

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

Ride it out another year and then what. I just wish they gave it one more update to make it iCloud compatible but they didn't.

Anyway, Yes. Aperture works fine and on my MBP15 and the update where it no longer works then I'll probably stick to the previous OS and make that a dedicated Aperture machine.

Last edited:

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Ride it out another year and then what. I just wish they gave it one more update to make it iCloud compatible but they didn't.

Anyway, Yes. Aperture works fine and on my MBP15 and the update where it no longer works then I'll probably stick to the previous OS and make that a dedicated Aperture machine.
That's what I was also thinking. Once OS X 10.? doesn't support Aperture, I'll buy a new machine and use my current one only for Aperture.

The only issue is if that dedicated Aperture machine ever failed.... lol

Gosh I do love Aperture though. My goal is to download some extensions for Apple's Photos(10.11 only feature) and attempt to use Photos to edit iPhone pics and then use Aperture to edit my DSLR pics.

Hopefully I'll learn Photos and maybe make the switch to editing my DSLR pics in 10.12(next year?). And hopefully 10.12 continues to refine the Photos app.........

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It works.
I had to delete the App and then install again from the Purchased section of the store, but the new version works in El Capitan

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
It works.
I had to delete the App and then install again from the Purchased section of the store, but the new version works in El Capitan

Thanks for that! Any issues that you have seen so far?

I was following the limited discussion during the beta phase and people reported some graphical glitches, perceived speed reduction and maybe some issues importing RAW.

Robbi Newman

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
The dumping of Aperture by Apple is one of the most disgraceful episodes in the slow demise of a once spirited company.
As a pro I set up myriads of clients with the application to sort vast libraries.
Now they, and myself have been totally dumped.
This from a corporation that has more wealth than many countries. Apple should have sold it off or maintained it for the pro market even if it ran at a loss. Loss of face is worse than loss of profits.
Capture One is the only other choice out there. Lightroom is clunky and PC UI'ified.
I would say change over asap ..Apple is now a company run by suits and spreadsheets. It has no soul left.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
The dumping of Aperture by Apple is one of the most disgraceful episodes in the slow demise of a once spirited company.
As a pro I set up myriads of clients with the application to sort vast libraries.
Now they, and myself have been totally dumped.
This from a corporation that has more wealth than many countries. Apple should have sold it off or maintained it for the pro market even if it ran at a loss. Loss of face is worse than loss of profits.
Capture One is the only other choice out there. Lightroom is clunky and PC UI'ified.
I would say change over asap ..Apple is now a company run by suits and spreadsheets. It has no soul left.

While I dont agree with the demise of Apple etc, I do think it was a bad choice to dump Aperture. I realize they need to focus on certain areas, and Aperture didnt fit within the current plan (i.e. it was not about money, it was about focus). But as you say, there were other ways of doing it - spinning it out, or incorporating aperture level tools into the new app, etc.

I often wonder if Aperture users had have mobilized and strongly reacted, whether Apple would have gone back on the decision. Needless to say, its too late now as many people have already made the shift to other software.

I have tried lightroom in the past, and again after the announcement, and I really dont like it. Aside from staying on Mavericks (or maybe El Capitan), I dont really have a plan.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Thanks for that! Any issues that you have seen so far?

I was following the limited discussion during the beta phase and people reported some graphical glitches, perceived speed reduction and maybe some issues importing RAW.
Nothing so far...

Sam Gumgee

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
Unfortunately, after upgrade from Yosemite, it broke Aperture for me. All I am getting are "Yellow Color Pictures" for every photo. The previews seems ok. Deleting preferences did nothing.

Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 9.41.44 PM.png

Hi,

I really love Aperture and just can't come around to let it go. At the same time, I'd like to upgrade to El Capitan.

Has anyone been able to verify that Aperture not only boots up but works near flawlessly in El Capitan?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I really don't use it, but I just imported some jpegs and pngs, and they all opened fine in Aperture.

Lou

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I upgraded to El Capitan and Aperture seems to be working like it did in Yosemite. Looks like I bought another year.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Unfortunately, after upgrade from Yosemite, it broke Aperture for me. All I am getting are "Yellow Color Pictures" for every photo. The previews seems ok. Deleting preferences did nothing.

View attachment 589173
I'm not experiencing that.
Try to delete the app, not the library !, and install it again.
Be sure to have Aperture in the Purchased section of your App Store first !

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I have tried lightroom in the past, and again after the announcement, and I really dont like it. Aside from staying on Mavericks (or maybe El Capitan), I dont really have a plan.

I tried all the alternate programs after the announcement and I hated them all. I tried Lightroom a couple months later again and still, I just went back to Aperture. Photos definitely was not going to be good enough. But last week, I just knew it was time. I found a really good guide to switch. I took my time...it took a full day to clean everything up and get it ready and then another day to import it all to Lightroom. I think the process is part of why I hated everything and kept putting it off. It all felt daunting and complicated to move.

Now I've been playing but with LR for a few days trying to work out my flow and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I figured out all my basic tasks and settled on a way to organize everything. I export jpgs for Photos and started fresh there. I can actually use iCloud Photo Library now and it's not all messed up. Ha!

Basically you're going to have to do it in the near future so might as well get it over with. I really did love Aperture though. The move is tedious but in the end I don't have to worry about Aperture disappearing from the store or computers crashing, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.