Does Apple Adjust Hinge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonematt, Sep 28, 2008.

1. iphonematt Guest

I got a new MacBook Pro in June that was replacing my older model MacBook Pro. I noticed that the screen doesn't open as far as the other one. So last week I was working with a friend who had bought a MacBook Pro about 3 weeks prior to me buying mine. We had our MacBook Pro sitting next to each other on the table. I then realized how much farther his display tilts than mine. His goes about 135° and mine only goes about 120°. This is especially annoying since i have a Rain Design MStand I set my MBP on and the screen of my MacBook Pro and not even tilt back completely vertically (the Mstand has a 30° tilt forward). Will Apple adjust the hinge on my MBP so it will tilt further back? It isn't a huge problem, but more of an annoyance, especially while on the Mstand and when on my lap as it would be nice if it tilted farther.

Thanks!

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, sounds like they overtightened it. Just ask them and compare with another mbp at the store or something.

3. iphonematt thread starter Guest

That sounds about right. My friends MacBook Pro also "moves" easier (easier to adjust screen position). I am hoping it will be a quick thing for my local Apple Store to do (if they can do it in the store).

4. tivoboy macrumors 68030

mine

I noticed on my new (older model) MBP that the hinge would get very still at about .5 inches to close. Is that normal. I then have to apply a bit more pressure to get it to fully close.

Granted, it is an issue, but is this by design?

5. wankey macrumors 6502a

It's a design feature. The lid doesn't actually close. You'll notice even closed, the lid is at a 0.5 degree incline.

What happens is actually the lid "flexs" a minute amount for the latches to catch one.

It's all for the lid opening effect. When you press the lid open button, you notice the lid spring open to that 0.5 inch position then you lift it up.

At least that's what happens on my mbp and I love the fact that they thought about that.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The older MBPs used a friction hinge, so I'm guessing they can tighten it.