Does apple allow for downgrades?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by swordth, Jul 10, 2008.

1. swordth macrumors newbie

I was wondering if you could downgrade/upgrade from a macbook pro to a macbook or vise versa if you bought it at the apple store? Would they still charge you the restocking fee? How would it work?

I'm curious because of all the Faulty GPU issues with the macbook pros.

Thanks for your help

2. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Well if your in the 14 day period, you can exchange it. But you will still be charged the 10% restocking fee.

If there really is an issue with it, then talk to a mac genius at the genius bar (be sure to book an appointment in advance), if he/she declares it being faulty, then the restocking fee is waived.

3. swordth thread starter macrumors newbie

so if it was faulty, they would replace it with anouther MBP or exchange it for something lower+a refund for the difference?

Also, are genius bars only at apple stores, or also authorized resellers?

thanks again

4. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Well you could either have it exchanged for a new mbp, return it for all your money back, or exchange it for the lower one and get the difference back, but this is only if it's faulty.

If it isn't faulty, then you could still do everything i said above, but there would be an additional restocking penalty on top of it.

From what I understand Genius Bars are only at apple stores. If you bought it at an authorized retailer, you would have to read their specific return policies and procedures.

5. swordth thread starter macrumors newbie

If it was purchased online, could you phone them, tell them about it, and then get a refund, assuming its faulty?

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I think in that case, "faulty" would have to be bad enough for them to declare it DOA.....if it's just faulty, then they're going to want to fix the fault instead of replacing the computer

if it's purchased online, they'll want you to take it to a genius bar, an authorized repair provider or ship it back to apple to be evaluated. Once it's been looked at, they'll decide whether it's DOA or whether they want to fix it

7. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

8. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

If it's outside of the 14 day window, chances are Apple will repair or replace it. Apple is pretty inconsistent with how they replace computers, so it's a toss up

9. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob