does apple announce the next update for the imac before releasing them ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bo-waleed, Feb 10, 2011.

1. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

2. Squall Strife macrumors newbie

Maybe the question is....did Apple ever announce the next update of something before releaising it?

The answer is obviously....no....

3. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

what about iphone 4 ?

4. BlackViper macrumors member

There are some exceptions, but generally Apple only announces products that are ready for sale. Often there is not even an anouncement, Apple just puts an updated product in the store. Check the Mac Rumors buyers guide for an estimate of when a product is expected to be updated.

5. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

They have announced new computers, but not all configs available on launch day. It is typical that a lower end config is available on launch day with the higher end systems coming later due to supply constraints usually.

6. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

I think what he means is like a keynote like they hold for the iPad, iPhone, and iPods. I don't know though because I don't own a Mac yet

7. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I really suspect some hardware goodies will be released in and around the May time frame with the release of Lion. Seems like a great way to release a new OS. Imagine Jobs or Cook talking about Lion..."Oh, there's one more thing...available tomorrow, the new XXXX will be available to the public with Lion installed."

8. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

I have a friend who works for the Apple sales telephone team, and she assures me that she never gets told anything about new hardware until the day before it's released, at best. Most of the time, she comes into work and finds that the catalogue has been updated and just has to roll with it...!

... take guidance from the release estimates on the Buyer's Guide, things that you hear on Macrumors, and the opinions of the more learned forum members. That's the best you can do, mate. Any major-major hardware updates, you'll likely hear something about on the internet grapevine.

If you ask me, I reckon the iMac will remain the same, but for the Sandy Bridge CPU, at the next refresh. The last update was a biggish one - a smallish one is likely to follow.