Does Apple Care Cover?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by No1iSaHero, Apr 5, 2013.

1. No1iSaHero macrumors newbie

Does it cover the battery?
    I'm concerned about using my rMBP at home, maybe I should just stick to my desktop?
    Reason being is because I'm not sure if apple replaces the battery once it dies out.
    Let me know thanks :D

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Do Car manufacturers cover tires?

So, no, batteries are not covered unless there is a defect.

3. maxosx macrumors 68020

It's quite rare, with few exceptions, to have a battery problem. Apple uses a high quality unit. If its just normal wear & tear, you pay for it.

4. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Like others have said, the batteries are of high quality and I have not had a problems with any apple products batteries so far.

5. duervo, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Depends on where you live. AppleCare doesn't extend the battery warranty where I'm located, it just has a one year warranty, period. Other countries may have laws that end up extending the battery warranty.

They did when I bought my vehicle brand new. Of course the warranty on them wasn't for as long as the car itself (car has 5yr, tires have 3yr or certain amount of tread, whichever comes first.)

I've already had a $150 tire replaced for a mere $5 (enviro fee) due to a sidewall puncture from an errant nail in a construction zone. But, I should point out, this is where I live and "no" it's not Fantasyland :D Other places may be different.

6. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

I believe apple explained to me that with apple care you get a 1 time discount on a battery replacement.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. Batteries are only covered for manufacturing defects. For details, see the BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED section of the following link.

AppleCare does extend the coverage for defective batteries from one year to three.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

8. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

That's not what AppleCare rep on the phone, or the staff at the local Apple store, told me when I went in with a problematic battery. Rep on phone told me it would cost since it was past one year, went in and the store staff told me the same. It was about a month before AppleCare expired on the system.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They were wrong, as Apple employees occasionally are. The link I provided explicitly states the coverage is extended for defective batteries.

Apple - Batteries - Battery Replacement

10. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

They have replaced my battery in my MBP 2007 three times without me paying, they died after one year after 200 or so cycles, I replaced it last year again but I had to pay as the current one was almost 3 years old. Replaced my battery in my 2009 MBP which was saying "check battery" after 400 cycles and 1.5 years, again they replaced them.

Genius said the new ones should last 1,000 cycles and a couple of years before you should see deterioration.

Oh, no Apple Care, I just asked. I'm not quite sure what Apple Care is apart from phone support. Perhaps it is different in the USA over the UK as you have worse consumer protection laws.

11. Ifti macrumors 68000

Batteries are NOT covered, unless there is a hardware issue.
    Apple will run a test on the machine to check for battery defects. If it is defective it will be replaced. If not, and its normal wear and tear, then it will not be replaced.
    I guess Apple will be stricter on this with the rMBP's due to the battery being physically stuck into the machine!

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

My opinion... it all depends on who you talk to, their mood, how much you whine, how busy the store is and of course, your own stamina. If you can withstand the assault of blue shirts they throw at you they'll go to great lengths just to appease you. Not fair to be sure but I've seen it.

The hell you say! :eek:

13. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I had a battery fail in 6 months (expanded and warped the case) and the 'genius' said then that batteries were explicitly not covered. I've not heard that his policy has changed.

Maybe if you're lucky you'll get one on a good day that'll replace it for you.

What happens with the new mbps with non-replaceable batteries I've no idea - I'm crossing my fingers that this one lasts a few years.

14. Jbart610 macrumors newbie

Batteries are covered for defects. Just had mine replaced under warrantee as I was getting a check battery message with less than a year on the machine.

15. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

Apple Care replaced my wife's cMBP 13 battery without any questions on its 8-9 month. I just told them that I feel it's discharging as fast as it should. They didn't even bother to look at it. I just returned a few hours and they replaced it.

16. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The official guideline is that, with Applecare, you get 3 years of coverage for:

- battery stops holding a charge
    - battery displays any warning/service messages
    - battery expands
    - battery capacity falls below 80% with less than 1000 cycles (below designed capacity).