Does Apple Charge a Restocking Fee?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Apr 8, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Love my iPad. Though I hate that I got it at the apple store and didn't wait to get it at best buy cause if their black tie protection program.

Does apple charge a restocking fee or anything like that?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I just spoke with the apple store and they said it's onna case by case basis. It depends if the iPad looks messed up and what tnot. Also everything must be the way when I first got it, down to the plastic wrapping covering the ipad which I lost. I may just purchase another iPad at best buy and swap the plastic covering and then return it to the apple store.

4. SoftSyrup, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  5. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Yes Apple does.

6. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Apple Serial Numbers

The apple store scans the serial number with each purchase, for warranty info.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, here's the actual return policy:
    http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041...Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#topic-21

Managers have the ability to override the 10% restock fee.

You do not need to return the plastic wrapping that covers the product.

8. JMB1911 macrumors regular

I am thinking of doing the same thing...my kids play with it all the time and the damage warranty from BB sounds pretty good. Peace of mind.

9. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

How did my serial number get on my receipt than?

Nice try.

10. jds17j macrumors newbie

Just tell them it keeps turning off and you already bought another one. no restocking fee. dishonest? probably...

11. archdelux macrumors 6502

So I just chatted with an Apple rep online and asked them if I would be charged a restocking fee if I were to return the iPad after trying it out (b/c 'I read online that the policy changed') and they said 'we cannot speculate on rumors etc' and basically told me to expect a 10% restocking fee if the ipad is opened..

So is this all just a rumor, or is this an actual policy that apple (for obvious reasons) does not want to advertise?

I want to try out the iPad in my everyday life to see if this is something I want, but would likely not do so if I can expect a $50 fee for trying it out for 14 days.

12. archdelux macrumors 6502

Alternatively - anyone know if it is possible to carefully open the box/etc and then reset the ipad so that it appears that it is unopened? Then I suppose the point is moot..

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

14. Surely Guest

Surely

Just buy it at Best Buy, they don't charge a restocking fee anymore.

http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Be...er-s/Restocking-Fee-Policy-Change/bc-p/208134

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-To...00050028.c?id=pcmcat204400050028&CMP=rzss_rte

I can fully understand the need for a company to charge a restocking fee. However, I'm glad that BB has decided to get rid of theirs.

15. archdelux, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

archdelux macrumors 6502

Wow, that's great - thanks.

I'm still a bit nervous since I don't want to be stuck with a $50 bill if I decide to return it after testing it out for 10 days or so.. has anyone done this? Will they take it back no questions asked?

Also - one more thing - will the refund be in Bestbuy store credit? If so, then that would definitely prevent me from doing this b/c everything at BB is overpriced anyway...

16. OSMac macrumors 65816

The iPad has a high return rate, just buy a open box model from best buy.

17. archdelux macrumors 6502

So bestbuy callcenter people just told me that unopened ipad means you can get a refund to your credit card and opened ipad means you get store credit.. looks like I won't be trying out the ipad afterall..

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

So why not buy a used one on Craigslist and try it out? If you don't like it you can likely resell for what you paid or better depending on your negotiating abilities.