Does Apple check education discount with online purchases?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by naturallight, Jun 3, 2009.

1. naturallight macrumors member

Hi,
    I found a thread from 2005 which seemed to indicate that Apple rarely checked the validity of education discounts with online purchases. Have people found that still to be the case?

thanks!

2. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

If you want to be the one purchase they do check on, then go for it.

Or you could just choose to do the right thing.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple checks education purchases online. If you do not qualify, they contact you asking if you'd still like it at the real price.

You can't scam them. Buy a refurb.

4. macindork macrumors member

how about buying it from MacMall or Amazon or something so that you don't have to pay sales tax? In most cases not paying the sales tax would more than make up for the edu discount.

5. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

I've purchased a PB G4, 17" MBP, 2 G4 Mac Mini, 4 iPods (about 4 or 5 years ago when they were still discounted), and a Black MacBook during my time in college and was never questioned or investigated, or even contacted, about any of the purchases. Granted, my last purchase was about 14 months ago with the edu discount.

6. marksandvig macrumors regular

I HIGHLY doubt this is true.. However, if you wanna be legit.. Apply to your local community college (free) and most likely they will be on the list.. As long as youve graduated HS you should get accepted immediately.

7. duky macrumors 6502

My parents ordered a comp for me last year from the edu store and I doubt they checked because my name was nowhere on it and my parents were able to purchase it to be delivered home. Same with going to the store, my friend went with an ID that had expired already but they gave him the discount. I think it's kind of like the Leopard install disc that you purchase--it says should only be installed on one computer but they don't actually have any checks in place for it.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, I've found that they're a lot more stringent online than in the store.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Apple does random audits. Some online buyers, but certainly not all, get a request for documents to verify that the buyer qualifies. If you don't, then they charge you the full price.

As I recall, this is all part of the "terms of use" you agree to in order to buy from the online education store

10. ibglowin macrumors regular

Even if you get the EDU discount, by the time you pay the tax, your discount has been eroded (unless you buy an expensive Mac Pro). Go to MacMall, pay no tax and make sure to file the rebate they have associated on almost every model and you'll more than likely be ahead of the game.....

11. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I just bought a Mac Mini for my dad under my edu discount and had no issues.

12. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

They rarely check , and if they do check you can always cancel your order, they wont do that now , they want to sell as many macbooks and imacs

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Thing that sucks about buying an iMac from amazon is that u can't get the optional 4850 graphics.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're a student, you don't have to worry.

15. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I am thinking of driving my sister to the nearest apple store like 2 hours away. She is a real student with ID. But I was wondering if she will still get the free ipod in stores or if we should just order online?

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    In the UK you have to have your internet connection connect to their site from campus :eek:

17. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Her school is on the list we were just wanting to get the same day. Shes just excited.

18. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Just FYI: From the Terms and Conditions of Apple's Sales Policy;

19. B6DWAL macrumors newbie

B6DWAL

In the UK if your connected to the local network at your college/university you will be able to buy online however there is a way round it to get the university link and order it from home like i did.

As far as im aware they didnt do any check on me. Infact I ordered [MBP base model] at 3pm on Thursday and it arrived at 8.30am on Friday. At no time was I telephoned, emailed or anything to provide proof and so I guess it really is dependant on whether your the unlucky order that gets checked. However even still the worse that can happen is that you are asked to provide ID and just say you dont have it yet and they will cancel your order to just buy at the usual price.

No harm done.

20. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Gah, Apple, its "ensure", not "insure"!

21. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Actually, in this case, either would be correct. :)