Does Apple even care about notebooks anymore?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toddsimon, Jul 29, 2016.

1. toddsimon macrumors member

toddsimon

I need a new MacBook and am tired of waiting. I don't like the MB Air because of the horrible screen. I don't like the MB a little small underpowered and one port no thanks and the MB Pro hasn't been updated in ages. Anyone have a clue when the new MB Pro will be released?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Let me look around for you and see if there is a thread about new MacBook Pros here somewhere...

3. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Yes they care but they're in the process of changing their whole lineup. It may sound simple, but 1 delay can delay it my months not to mention the fact that they have to organize pricing around current models to make sure one notebook isn't better value than others (as a whole). This results in overpriced products and poor value in some areas.
    New MBPs will be this fall unless they wait another 6 months for Kaby Lake, which I think is unlikely.

4. toddsimon thread starter macrumors member

toddsimon

I can't decide if I should wait or buy one this weekend since it's tax free. My current MB Air is a little slow and I'm out of space on my HD I should've never bought one with 128gb.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's not like the current 13" is that out of date. It's got a Broadwell processor and Iris 6100 graphics. Mine easily exceeds the 10 hour battery life.

Also, realistically, the current 15" rMBP is a damn fast computer. The Haswell processors may be older but they're not slow by any means.

6. Appleaker macrumors 68000

No it'll be worth the wait and a more significant upgrade. 128GB can be a pain but maybe you should offload a lot of stuff onto an external drive for now.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I hear that the computer you want to buy is actually coming out in 2018. It's not that far off so you might as well wait. :rolleyes:

8. Appleaker macrumors 68000

No actually the computer I want to buy is already out. Waiting 2 years is not the same as 1/2 months.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The computer isn't out, and that's my point. People have been saying "wait for Skylake" or "wait for Kaby Lake" for a year now and it hasn't happened.

If you need a computer now, then buy a computer that suits your needs now. If you can wait then wait. Either way, you end up with a computer that suits your needs.

10. Appleaker, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

Appleaker macrumors 68000

The likelyhood of it coming out in the next few months is higher than previous times, and people have been saying it those times because the MacBook Pro usual update schedule indicated that. I think the argument is stronger to wait this time because it will be a significant redesign but your right, either one will likely be suitable although coming from a MBA the new models may be more suitable due to the increased probability even over the air.

11. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

“I think if you’re looking at a PC, why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would you buy one?” Cook told the British publication. “Yes, the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people. They will start using it and conclude they no longer need to use anything else, other than their phones.”

^The above is the answer to your question.

I don't think it can be said more succinctly.

12. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Many, many people. Not everyone.

13. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Tim Cook made it clear what Apple really cares about.

14. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Not really, that vision has been with Apple since the inception of the iPad. Just because they reiterated that it doesn't mean they have given up on Macs.

15. PKBeam macrumors regular

PKBeam

Well, there's no definite indicator of Apple's stance, but....

They're still producing MacBooks.

The MacBooks are still selling at a good profit,

and Apple announced a new notebook just one year ago

and a redesigned MBP has been leaked for this year

and they rebranded OS X.

It seems to me that Apple's been doing more for Mac laptops recently than they have in 2013 or 2014.
    My hypothesis is - yes, they do care.

16. iPaintCode macrumors regular

iPaintCode

They've really spread thin this decade, look how long it took them get the Mac Pro out and now it's just hanging around waiting for a much needed hardware update. Same goes for their display but that's discontinued with no option but maybe a 4/5k is incoming with a built in video card so older Macs can use it. Guess we will see around September if Apple gets off the pot. Not sure Steve would have been this stagnate, just saying.

On a side note, I wonder if they have been seeing how the 12.9" iPad Pro worked out. Apple has been closing the gap with the new Kits/Swift etc etc... Makes you wonder if they might actually move over to Arm from Intel in the next year or two. I suppose anything is possible at this point.

17. tubeexperience, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

How much Apple cares:

iPhone > iPad >> Apple Watch >>> Mac

18. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I wouldn't agree with the Apple Watch placement (maybe just the bands :D). iPad and Mac are so close together that it is hard to tell. It only appears that way not due to the delays with Mac updates but whichever way round it is, it's very close in comparison with the difference between iPhone and other devices.

19. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Your psychic sense got the digits mixed. That's 2081. Sorry.

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

But still, that's the one to wait for!

21. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Stop lying and being ridiculous.

Emojis >>>>> Watch bands >>>>> iPhone >> Apple Watch > iPad > Product RED™ >>> Mac.

22. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

23. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

They care

about how to make you pay as much as they can for core m

24. creamz macrumors member

creamz

I suggest you wait. They are going to have it redesigned. Apple don't want to make a Macbook Pro with the same look as the Macbook. Jony Ive may be working with new material. This unibody has been going on for like forever.

25. spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

But is that a bad thing?! Change for the sake of change is never a good thing.

Imagine the internals they could have crammed into the original unibody, if they'd ditched the CD drive but kept the thickness.