Does Apple ever do this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PaulWog, Jul 16, 2011.

1. PaulWog Suspended

The 13.3 inch Macbook Pro has HD 3000 graphics. Which, as we know, is good... but not great. Does Apple ever update their Macbook Pro lines with sort of a small update? Like, not new Macbook Pros... but new upgrade options?

I am almost 100% certain I'll be looking to purchase a Macbook Air (since its processing power will be almost on par with a Pro... not quite... but close enough, given the assumed/rumored refresh). However, I'm just wondering about the Pro and any possibilities.

I mean... my mom's laptop is actually just as thin as a Macbook Pro. Hers is 13.3 inches as well. Hers runs on an i5 processor (however it's the previous gen i5). And her laptop came with a Radeon 6550 graphics solution, which is amazingly powerful for on-the-go graphics in a 13 inch laptop. So I just don't see why Apple... being the great company that they are... wouldn't offer such an option.

Sorry if this is a repost of a commonly asked question or anything like that... I'm posting this on a whim, but it's a serious question I'd love to have answered. I'm planning out a future purchase... and I don't want to impulse buy. I've already done some impulse buying in the past which have costed me (Craigslist them later once I realize they're not quite for me... but I lose 5-20% of what I paid usually). I want to buy the right Macbook for me. Graphics would be the only reason I'd go with a Pro as opposed to an Air. But I wouldn't go for anything above 13 inches in size.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

They do updates, small ones, just like processing speed bump but nothing that major.

3. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

^ agree
    I usually see spec upgrade and a case update, but in next drop will prob have upgrades in procs too. I think thunderbolt was the new "big thing" for apple.

4. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I concur, We will occasionally see minor spec bumps, either within processor, memory, storage, occasionally a graphics bump, or slight price reduction. Apple also is getting really good at predicting product demand within a given product cycle, with that said, anything can happen.

Macgasm reported on an image of a possible updated pro with a new 'arrow key configuration' with 'home' and 'end' keys above the left and right. I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Apple update or spec bump all their product lines within the next few months to really entice buyers with lion. Remembering that Apple is a hardware company, and not a software company.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You can use FN + Right for "End" and FN + Left for "Home"

6. Philflow macrumors 65816

Yes there will be upgrades in specifications. And no I don't think we'll see a dedicated GPU in this MBP 13" model.

The next redesign might bring a good GPU to the MBP, most people expect a redesign in 2012.