Does apple ever introduce hardware during WWDC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brinycbri, May 13, 2008.

1. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

I thought it was usually a developers conference for software introduction, rarely hardware?

2. bmh16 macrumors regular

Apparently they have only released one thing before - PowerBook G5 (i think)... which is why i think the iPhone will be announced/released beforehand.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Since they are releasing the iphone SDK at WWDC, it would make sense to announce/release the new iphone at the same time.

Even if Apple does announce the new iphone before WWDC, I can't see it being made available before the SDK is released at WWDC. 1. They wouldn't release the new OS before the SDK is released since the two are dependent on each other. 2. Since we all know that the new OS has code to support 3G, they can't ship new iphones with the old OS.

So no matter what happens, you won't be able to hold a new iphone in your hot little hands until after WWDC.

4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

http://guides.macrumors.com/WWDC

bmh16 means PowerMac G5, not PB G5.

They've also released the original Mac Pro, the intel-based X-Serve, the 30" HD Cinema Display, and the original iSight; all at WWDC. So, it's not just software.

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

it will most likely be the release of firmware of 2.0 and the release date will be announced at WWDC...

6. elbirth macrumors 65816

it's already been answered here what has been released hardware-wise at WWDC, but as you can tell from what's been mentioned, the hardware they DO release is more serious stuff that's not geared towards general consumers. The Mac Pro, Xserve, etc are more business/industry oriented, where the iMac, MacBook, etc are more for general consumers.

Having said that, I still can't make up my mind if they would release the updated iPhone at WWDC or not... the iPhone SDK for sure, but whether they would release the hardware alongside the software remains to be seen. (The iPhone is a more general consumer item, afterall)

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Couldn't they just start shipping the 3G iPhones with 1.1.4, thus having no 3G, then tell people that they will be able to activate 3G it when they get the free firmware 2.0?

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Apple has released hardware at WWDC before, such as the Mac Pro and Intel Xserves back in 2006, but since then they have not. Perhaps (hopefully) this year will be an exception with the iPhone.

9. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

I hope that's a joke...:rolleyes:

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They've done some sneak peaks behind closed doors for the big developers.

Probably more likely now with the concurrent ship/announcement method.

11. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

As mentioned, hardware has been released at WWDC.

WWDC is obviously for developers, though the press and analysts are invited to the keynote. If there are enough new features or development related aspects to the new iPhone, then there is a good chance of an iPhone announcement at WWDC.

Concerning the 3G iPhone and rumors of a May release, Apple only gave eight days notice before the SDK announcement on March 6. So there's plenty of time for an invitation and iPhone event before WWDC.

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nope, that's out next Tuesday.

13. bstpierre macrumors 6502

How is the new OS dependent on the SDK? I am pretty sure they could ship out the new iPhone and OS before WWDC and then release the SDK at the beginning of WWDC so people can play with it at the conference with all the Apple guys there to help. To me, this would be the best way to make use of the conference.

14. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

my guess is that a new iphone maybe announced but it probably wont be release or sold until macworld

15. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

It's dependent in that AppStore is dependent on it.

Without the final SDK build, there wouldn't be applications in the AppStore, right? After all, every build seems to give everyone like 60 errors (like mine when they decided to replace the UIButton on the Navigation bars with UIBarButtonItem).

As for OP, Wikipedia says that

16. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

How could I forget about the PowerBook G5's release? I remember those days, it was right around the time when the PowerMac G5 finally reached 3 Ghz. :D

17. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Ladies and gentlemen, the new PowerBook G5. Isn't it beautiful? Featuring a 1.8GHz PowerPC G5 processor, half-a-gigabyte of RAM, and all the features you're used to. Now, it's a little thinker than you're used to, but that's because this is the first laptop in the industry to be water cooled! That's right, water cooled. And at only five inches thin, we think we've done a fantastic job.

18. bmh16 macrumors regular

lol the name escaped my mind, i knew i made a mistake :eek:

19. sparkyms macrumors 65816

In which case there is no reason why apple couldn't release an os 1.1.5 with all these features minus the app store.. seeing as that is what the big deal is with the SDK.

I'm not saying that they will, just, they could do that because the only thing thats dependant on teh SDK is the app store and other peoples apps, and besides, apple could ship 2.0 with larger developers apps in the app store and make app store penetration available to everyone after WWDC.

It's not that far fetched!!

20. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Actualy you're a little off base. The AppStore isn't the only thing dependent on the SDK. Everything that runs on 2.0 is dependent on the SDK because it has completely different frameworks than 1.1.x. Not even the iPod or calendar or safari will work on 2.0. Nothing written for one set of frameworks will work on the other. I suppose they could release a version of 2.0 without the appstore (like several of the betas) but I think they would rather release it all at once and not piecemeal.

21. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Haha we're not making fun of your typo. The PowerBook G5 was an old forum joke to put down people still waiting for one. ...Need-less to say, it never came. :eek:

22. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

i dont think that apple would by any means even consider releasing iphone 2 without appstore/sdk.

the only word suitable to describe their actions if they did so would be embarrasing considering all the hype/fuss was made over SDK.

23. abrooks macrumors 6502a

:D

24. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

:)

25. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

See? I knew there was a PowerBook G5... somewhere. :p

Actually, it was the introduction of the PowerMac G5 back in June 2003.