Does Apple ever make exceptions to return policies?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kendo, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I bought a keyboard and mouse during Black Friday and noticed the holiday return period ended yesterday. It is my fault for not double checking but I assumed it would be in line with most holiday return periods (at least till mid-January and some store do till the end).

I guess I could sell them on eBay and CL but I would lose a good percentage and it is a big hassle. Do you think Apple would make an exception since it is only one day late?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Never hurts to ask them, and each situation will be treated individually
    Nobody here can answer for them

3. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

True. I was just hoping someone had an experience like mine and received store credit as a grace period. Just wanted to prepare myself with good news before making the call.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. JTravers macrumors 6502a

Just go to the store and explain what happened. No guarantees, of course, but I would guess that they'd make an exception. Especially if all you want is store credit. If the keyboard and mouse are unopened, then the odds are even better.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Well once I called and got an extra 6 days on my 14 day grace period. I would call.

7. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Just called the online store and they said no exceptions. Hopefully a manager at the brick and mortar store will hear my plea.

8. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

They will - its one day - would be silly of them not to extend grace. Be kind and persistent climb up the ranks until they extend grace.

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Or, realize that it's his fault for not checking the return policy and assuming instead. Apple owes him nothing.

Sell them on Craigslist, here on the Marketplace (which you have access to), or to a friend.

10. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Thats an option

11. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah looks like I'm just gonna go the CL or eBay route.

12. JTravers macrumors 6502a

So the B&M store didn't let you return it either?

13. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

I decided not to try. It is my fault, I mean I did have it since Black Friday. :p

14. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Well, they refunded a ton of FCPX sales no questions asked.

15. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Just to give a small update. Yesterday I was in the mall shopping for clothes and passed by the Apple Store so I dropped by and asked one of the sales associates if it was possible to return an item after the return period after explaining my situation. He said it is up to the manager's discretion but to bring both items in and give it a shot since I didn't have them on me.

Today I explained the situation to a different girl and she said the manager approved. They were going to refund my credit card but I asked for Apple Store credit saying I was going to buy an iPad 3 later on. I figured I would at least show my gratitude by promising to spend the money in their store at a later date (though I'm not sure if it even makes a difference, I still wanted to show my thanks).

I guess it is possible to return an item but they don't openly advertise it over the phone because people would abuse it. Either that or the manager decided to give me a pass which I'm grateful for. I'm definitely never going to procrastinate on returns ever again.

16. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Smart companies understand it is all about the consumer. Glad it worked out for you. Too many people expect very little from companies.