Does Apple finance?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redking31591, Oct 14, 2008.

1. redking31591 macrumors 6502

I really want to get one of the new macbooks due today but lack the sum to buy the computer outright. Does apple do any kind of financing on their products?

2. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

is the card worth getting to finance a laptop?

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Personally, I don't think financing a laptop is a good idea. If you don't have the cash, wait and save.

4. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will have the money to pay it off in February i just don't want to have to wait that long.

5. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

Ive heard the Juniper card is difficult to get your hands on and has a pretty large interest rate.

if you are truely able to pay it off in february..then why not.
    the interest till then might be worth paying in your case.

i think something like an apple credit card is great.

you also get free itunes gift cards for every X amount you spend if im not mistaken.

6. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Over under on how long till this thread turns into a 'You shouldn't finance!' thread?

They do; in the UK at least, the details are on their website. Look out for cheaper interest offers through the year.

andy.

7. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not trying to start a argument i just really want a macbook and can't wait until Febuary to get it. I would probally get it sometime in November as a early christmas present for myself

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

DON'T get the Juniper card, when you can get financing from amazon for 24mo 0% interest and $100 rebate.

9. LDB macrumors member

LDB

Better yet, read The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey and start having a real future rather than an indentured aging.

10. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

I'm not sure where you live, so I though I'd add this. They don't offer it in Canada. You can get one through Best Buy or Future Shop (not sure what your opinion on them is, some people love them, some people hate them). Also Best Buy has a lower interest rate. The only advantage to buying from the online apple store is that you can make the laptop BTO.

11. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you buy your houses and cars outright?

12. yomibro macrumors regular

Wait until you have all the money before you purchase, unless you are 100% sure that you won't have any un-expected expenses between now and February that you didn't account for.

13. LDB macrumors member

LDB

House no, everything else yes. The house took 12 years to pay for.

14. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Amazon would probably be the better way to go. I don't know the terms of the Juniper card, but if you can get 0% with Amazon, do it. Paying interest on a computer is a waste.

15. ChrisA macrumors G4

There are good reasons to borrow money. Certainly if the thing you are buying is capital equipment that you use to earn a living then you can do the math and see it it's rate of return is more than the interest rate on the borrowed money.

A good example might be a a $4,000 computer system. Lets say the interest on it is 20% (yikes that's high) so you would pay $800 to the bank in the first year. But even a beginning web designer can earn $2,000 a month. So it seems you are better off paying the $800 to the bank then waiting even one month to buy the computer.

And then you have to figure out the tax advantages. You can put that $4,000 system on a three year schedule. and deduct $4,000/3 from your taxable income. Depending on your tax bracket that could cover the interest payments.

All that said if the computer is just a toy then you should be paying for it with "disposable income" money you don't need for other purposes.

16. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Ignore the high and mighty folks - the same folks who haven't bothered to read the part where you stated you'll have the money in a few months, but need the computer now.

And when I said 'over under on how long til this turns into a 'You shouldn't take credit!'' thread, I didn't mean you were trying to start an argument. I was pointing out the thread will be overrun with nay'sayers very shortly ;)

andy.

17. belvdr macrumors 601

Cars, yes. House, no; the interest is tax deductible.

18. LDB macrumors member

LDB

Your premise is correct as far as it goes but I think "I really want one of the new models" falls under your last sentence.

19. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Personally, I'd do it but maybe with someone other than Apple. The Juniper card has pretty high interest. Of course, they wouldn't give it to me last year so it has pretty high credit standards. My credit union gives computer loans that have a really good interest rate. That's how I bought my last desktop because I was desperate, then I paid if off in full when the cash flow was better.

20. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

So would it be worth it to get the amazon.com store card and 12 months no payments

21. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If you know you'll be paying it all off in a few months, and you don't want to wait, that's the way I would recommend going.

22. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah the computer would be paid off in full in February when I get my income tax refund.

23. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502