Does Apple have a process for weeding out apps that don't sell

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoney:), Sep 9, 2010.

1. iPhoney:) macrumors member

In the real world, dealing with tangible merchandise, if a product doesn't sell, it goes off the market and products that do sell take it's place, I fear that in the digital realm this may not be the case and that the App store is littered with worthless apps that don't sell and are taking up valuable space in the market that could be filled with superior merchandise. Am I correct in my assumptions?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've never heard of this so I suspect that means it doesn't happen.

But you raise a good point. Even if they don't do it now I'm sure it'll happen eventually. Like...if you can't get 10 downloads per month you get booted, or something like that.

They had no need for that while they were trying to get as big a store as possible. But somewhere down the line I'm certain your prediction will come true.

3. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Well I have to confirm your fear. The app store is littered with worthless apps. Try checking out the sister site, Appshopper.com and try to find anything worthwhile. I wish the would really limit the number of We this and We that and all the other bubblegum games. I wish I could down load the 250,000 plus apps to a spread sheet and see how much is really solid, how much is form other countries and how much is just plain fluff.

What happened to: "We have over 250,000 apps in the App Store. We don't need any more Fart apps."
    What about flashlight apps, battery apps etc.

"We have lots of serious developers who don't want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour."
    Oh Really? Thats a laugh

"Apps that duplicate apps already in the App Store may be rejected, particularly if there are many of them"
    Someone is sleeping at the reject switch

"If your App looks like it was cobbled together in a few days, or you're trying to get your first practice App into the store to impress your friends, please brace yourself for rejection."
    This one is funny