Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
The new MacBook Pro only have Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Meanwhile, the iPhone only have Lightning.

Want to connect your iPhone to your new MacBook Pro?

Can't do that!

Want to connect your Lightning EarPods to your MacBook Pro?

Can't do that either!

It's like while Scrooge McDuck, err... Tim Cook, is checking his bank account, everyone is running around doing whatever he/she wants.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Sadly, Lightning was Apple's holdover between 30pin and USB-C (I don't even know if they were thinking much about USB-C when they designed Lightning for the iPhone 5). Now it is creating issues because USB-C is the standard, and Lightning is on the decline. So eventually things are transitioning to USB-C (in my opinion).

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
The new MacBook Pro only have Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Can't do that!

Want to connect your Lightning EarPods to your MacBook Pro?

Can't do that either!

It's like while Scrooge McDuck, err... Tim Cook, is checking his bank account, everyone is running around doing whatever he/she wants.

Yeah I know. It's not seamless at all.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Apple should have gone bold with the iPhone7 and dumped the lightning port. Android phones have already done this.

And imagine now the wail from people that are buying lightning headphones when the iPhone 7s or 8 dumps the lightning port. Since they made users already but new headphones they could have at least gone with a connector that is going to last.
[doublepost=1478036765][/doublepost]

Can't do that!

There are USB-C to lightning cables

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware

Can't do that!
I do understand where you want this thread to go, but Apple does offer that USB-C to Lightning cable, if you need it.

Apple should have gone bold with the iPhone7 and dumped the lightning port. Android phones have already done this.

hmm... When did android phones ever have a lightning port?

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada

And imagine now the wail from people that are buying lightning headphones when the iPhone 7s or 8 dumps the lightning port. Since they made users already but new headphones they could have at least gone with a connector that is going to last.
[doublepost=1478036765][/doublepost]

There are USB-C to lightning cables

Apple should have kept the headphone jack at least another year on the iPhone until they're ready to go USB-C on the iPhone. Would have saved people money from buying lightning headphones. I ended up getting a 6S instead of a 7 so I'm okay.
[doublepost=1478037082][/doublepost]
I do understand where you want this thread to go, but Apple does offer that USB-C to Lightning cable, if you need it.

hmm... When did android phones ever have a lightning port?

I think he means that Android phones have dumped micro USB for USB-C.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Yes they do, the are optimising solely the amount of profit they can extract from you. Need cable here, need cable there, need that dongle. Lets do minimum and charge maximum.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Do we really need so many posts/threads regarding the notion that you need a new cable to go from lightning to USB-C for iPhones? Yes, you need a new cable, exactly the same thing if you had an Android phone, or any other phone! Why are there so many people desperate to connect their phones to their new Macs? I haven't had to do that in years, since iOS whatever that removed the need for tethering.

Also, pretty sure most people buy the much cheaper cables/adapters from other sources. So it's not exactly 'Apple' extracting profit from people in that regard.

Reactions: jerryk

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Yes they do, the are optimising solely the amount of profit they can extract from you. Need cable here, need cable there, need that dongle. Lets do minimum and charge maximum.
+1.
Exactly:

xperia_z2_tablet.gif

+

dongles-980x420.jpg

+

100-dollar-bills-royalty-free-stock-photography-image-9277437-uBdL6N-clipart.jpg

=

Strategy.jpg

Reactions: tubeexperience

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I think the iphone's future is one without any port at all a la apple watch

I think THE future is in wireless, one day everything will be wireless once they work the kinks out of wireless charging. But we're a long way off a portless phone, or anything. Like a good 15-20 years at least.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
So to connect your iPhone to your new MacBook Pro, you have to pay Apple another $25.

Tim Cook must thinks that his bank account is a little empty.

No, you can buy a USB-C to lightning cable from other suppliers than Apple, or you could buy a USB-C to USB-A adapter for a couple of dollars and use that with your existing cables

Either way, there certainly is more than one way to connect your iPhone to your MacBook Pro

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I think THE future is in wireless, one day everything will be wireless once they work the kinks out of wireless charging. But we're a long way off a portless phone, or anything. Like a good 15-20 years at least.

what makes you say that? bluetooth headphones can be had for as little as $25 on amazon, it'll probably take a year or two for apple to be able to make a cheap one. Wireless charging isn't far off. Wireless syncing is already a reality. I'm going to say iphone will go full wireless in 2 years

tylerwatt12

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
iPhone will be a single sheet of glass, no ports to plug in. Touch id via the touchscreen, no moving parts. Fully water proof because of this. Wireless charging, wireless headphones, no syncing, maybe a debugging connector like the apple watch.

Apple's philosophy: make the device as unbreakable as possible.

The MacBooks will have 1 port to rule them all, charging, connecting, adapting, storage, video, etc. Only 1 type of port takes up less space, more space for battery and pcb. No more space taken by SD card readers not everyone will use. Carry only the adapters you need. Going to edit photos? bring the thunderbolt to USB-C adapter.

Apple's philosophy: give them a port they will always use.

Reactions: R3k

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
What I wish Apple had done with the iPhone 7 was give it and its wall charger USB-C ports, and a USB-C cable to charge it with. Or at least have a wall charger with USB-C and a USB-C to Lightning cable. Oh well, maybe Apple will make the transition with the iPhone 8.

I'm not too worried though, since the iPhone can get updates OTA. Only need to connect it to my computer to make backups and download music.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
what makes you say that? bluetooth headphones can be had for as little as $25 on amazon, it'll probably take a year or two for apple to be able to make a cheap one. Wireless charging isn't far off. Wireless syncing is already a reality. I'm going to say iphone will go full wireless in 2 years

I think wireless charging is still a way off, not the rubbish contact stuff we have at the moment where you may as well plug it in. I mean long range stuff. All sorts of problems with dropoffs at range, then it'd need several years testing for health and stuff, then more years to get approved. Until that all happens, I don't see 'wireless' charging taking off as it's kind of pointless at the moment.

One day, I envision a wireless power bank in your home that charges everything, just not for a long time is all.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

What kinks in wireless charging? I have been charging my Android phones wirelessly for 3 years. The Qi standard works great.

Last edited:

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
+1.
Exactly:

xperia_z2_tablet.gif

+

dongles-980x420.jpg

+

100-dollar-bills-royalty-free-stock-photography-image-9277437-uBdL6N-clipart.jpg

=

Strategy.jpg

Exactly. Just what I was saying in another thread. Companies do whatever they can to get more money from the consumer. They don't care about the consumer.
[doublepost=1478044157][/doublepost]
iPhone will be a single sheet of glass, no ports to plug in. Touch id via the touchscreen, no moving parts. Fully water proof because of this. Wireless charging, wireless headphones, no syncing, maybe a debugging connector like the apple watch.

Apple's philosophy: make the device as unbreakable as possible.

The MacBooks will have 1 port to rule them all, charging, connecting, adapting, storage, video, etc. Only 1 type of port takes up less space, more space for battery and pcb. No more space taken by SD card readers not everyone will use. Carry only the adapters you need. Going to edit photos? bring the thunderbolt to USB-C adapter.

Apple's philosophy: give them a port they will always use.

Yeah but they won't use that extra space for more battery or more powerful processor etc. They'll just make it even thinner which is not necessary.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

sgript

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2016
UK
From recent rumours cropping up they seem to be researching extended wireless charging, aka without the use of a dock, but more based on proximity. If that's the case, we may very well see no ports in iPhones soon. Though I do think USB-C will soon take over from lightning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.