Does Apple have any first-gen iPhones to replace for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Freedomflyer, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Freedomflyer macrumors newbie

Hey everyone...
    Recently my iPhone has had some Pixel-Death problems, and I'm considering getting a replacement by going to the Apple store and returning it. My only concern is the fact that Apple does not make first-gen iPhones anymore. So what will Apple do to honor their warrantee?
    Thanks!
    fflyer

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple have spares for replacements as well as spare parts for repairs. There should be no issues...

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Don't worry: they have refurbished iPhones for you.

4. Rigsby macrumors regular

This topic has come up a few times before. Apple seem to have a healthy stock of 1st gen iPhones to replace defects - so you won't be getting a free 3G if that's what you were hoping!!

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I think thats what he wasn't hoping :rolleyes: :p

6. Rigsby macrumors regular

I sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world who is happy with his iPhone 3G! The only problem I have is that the App Store app doesn't seem to pick up on updates. Apart from that, the phone rocks.

7. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

8. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

You're not alone. I'm thrilled with my 3G too! It's just that the complaints always drown out the happy dances. :p

9. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Yep

I just got my phone replaced yesterday and it is awesome! My other one had a loose connection inside and the genius was nice and replaced my unit. I feel like I have just gotten a brand new, 1st-gen phone - so about the same as when I originally got it.

I too was worried about having to upgrade to 3G. The glass on the 1st gen feels so much nicer; the 3G feels like plexiglass. Also I think that next summer's new iPhone will have much more hardware upgrades than the 3G but if you upgrade now at the subsidized price you will have to pay full price for it.

10. kevo0822 macrumors 6502

Looks like a mod just got online...

My sister got her original iPhone replaced yesterday. They still have a good amount of stock left I guess.

11. Rigsby macrumors regular

You see this a lot, but is there anything to back up the assertion that you won't get a subsidised upgrade next year?

12. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Obviously

Yeah - AT&T's upgrade eligibility policy. Current iPhone users were able to upgrade because they started a new contract with the iPhone (even if they were a previous customer) and the first phone wasn't subsidized.

Upgrade Information straight from AT&T.

13. evilworld macrumors newbie

I had a problem with my touch screen two weeks ago with my 1st gen iPhone. They replaced it with a refurbished one. The next day I purchased a new 3G 16GB for $300, then put the old one for sale and sold the following day for $400. Made $100 off the old one and still got a new phone.

You can't beat that deal :D

P.S. They still have alot of refurbished phones available for replacements. They do take your old one and recondition them.

EW

14. Rigsby macrumors regular

That's their current policy. There is no way of knowing how they plan to deal with the next iPhone. (apologies for taking the thread off-topic)

15. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

And what makes you think they will up and decide to change it? You do know that there were plenty of current AT&T customers that were not qualified for subsidized pricing, right? If this was their policy for the release of the first subsidized phone, why should it be any different for the second?

"Existing AT&T customers who are not currently eligible for an upgrade discount can purchase iPhone 3G for $399 for the 8GB model or $499 for the 16GB model."

When the iPhone was first released, it had it's own special plan that was distinct from other smart phones. This is no longer the case - iPhone 3G now uses the standard smartphone/PDA plan that any other device. The "iPhone is special so we will make special circumstances for it" philosophy is over.

If someone with the subsidized 3G could check the date when you will qualify for a subsidized upgrade, that would be interesting to see. just check AT&T's "myWireless" as explained in the previous links.

16. lexluther18 macrumors newbie

how do you get one if you are out of warrenty? Can you buy the Applecare if your phone is older than 1 year?