Does Apple have to install more Memory or can I?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vdolmstead, Mar 25, 2009.

1. vdolmstead macrumors newbie

vdolmstead

I own a 24" Intel Dual Core iMac and I love it. It came with 1 gig of ram, a single DDR2 chip in one of the two slots. Memory seems to drop in price every day so I'd love to take advantage of that by stopping at Best Buy and grabbing some, but I don't know how to open the beast and install it. Can I do that? How do I do that? Will Apple shoot my extended warranty through the heart if I do? I understand that taking it to the Apple store won't capture those low memory prices, or am I wrong?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Memory is a CRU - customer replaceable unit. No problem doing it yourself. You can get 2 x2gb for about $ 45 now. Just be careful and get the right stuff and ground yourself. No warranty issue unless you break something putting the memory in.

3. vdolmstead thread starter macrumors newbie

vdolmstead

Wow, old-wiz, that was a fast and friendly response.

Thanks! I'm hip to the static risk, since I've been installing memory chips since they were configured in number of K bytes. But I just couldn't find out where to put it. Someone pointed a link in the apple support section that answers that question for me so now I'm set. Thank you again. :)

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I remember the 64kb chips. I'm showing my age.

5. vdolmstead thread starter macrumors newbie

vdolmstead

I'm showing even more age. I remember 2k chips. 16 of them cost $400! How times have changed.