Does Apple HAVE to put regulatory and identifiers on the back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shazzam, Feb 14, 2011.

1. shazzam macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know it has to be somewhere, right? But other companies just don't show it. Maybe the back could read:

iPhone
    Designed by Apple in California
    Assembled in China Model A1332

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They're required to post the regulatory stuff on on the phones like every other phone maker.

I mean if you're talking about the FCC, and EU stuff.

I think they're also required to put somewhere, where it was made, not sure if they're required to make it a conspicuous spot or not.

3. AML225 macrumors regular

The reason you don't see it on most other phones is because they usually hide it inside the removable battery compartment.

4. shazzam thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah I was just wondering if it was a legal requirement. I've seen photos where they are absent on other phones and made me wonder why Apple hasn't gotten rid of that 'clutter'.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

It has to be where it is on the AT&T phone because it's the same phone sold in different countries and the information has to be where the consumer can see it, and since the phone is not user-serviceable it's on the back. You don't see it on other phones because they often put it underneath the battery.

The Verizon iPhone doesn't have it because that phone is only sold in the US.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Bingo. And under the battery is also where most manufacturers put their moisture sensors as well, instead of locations like the external connector jacks.

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

They made it a part of their industrial design now. I think it looks quite cool actually. It'd just look naked without those symbols.