Does Apple honor issues appearing before AppleCare expiring?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fratey, Jan 29, 2014.

1. fratey macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 5 that has had battery issues since this summer. Sometimes, the phone dies in a "low battery-esque" way anywhere in the interval: [0,60]%. Charging it for a minute or so allows the phone to boot with the same battery level again.

I updated to iOS 7 a couple weeks before the AppleCare on the phone expired, and this seemed to have mitigated the issues for a while. However, now they have appeared again a month or so after the warranty expiring.

How well does Apple honor these type of cases? Do I have a $900 brick on my hands or do I have chance on actually getting a working phone?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

They have no obligation to honor it outside of the warranty, but it cannot hurt to stop by an apple store.

3. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Do you have any proof that the issues were occurring within the warranty period?

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, you should have taken care of it earlier OP. I would take it to an Apple store and explain the situation. They may help you out or not. Good luck.

5. fratey thread starter macrumors regular

The issues were solved by an OS update which made me assume it was a software issue. Wouldn't you assume that, if it was fixed by a software update?
    Sadly no, unless you count angry text messages. I guess this means I have a $900 brick.

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

apple will replace your battery out of warranty for $79.00

7. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

Might as well go to a 3rd party for much less.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I'd rather have an Apple battery installed properly.

9. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

Installing a battery isn't on the level of installing a motherboard, you know?

$80 is a lot for a mass produced battery and 10 minutes time.

10. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

While you or I may be perfectly comfortable opening our phones and shrug at a simple battery replacement, not everybody is like that.

But if the op wants to do it himself: http://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-5-Replacement-Battery/IF118-001

11. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Agree. Would have Apple backing as well.

12. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No, because your battery dying at 60% indicates a hardware problem. I would have taken it in after it died more than once.

14. 617aircav Suspended

This.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unless you purchased it with Amex or equivalent with extended warranty, you snooze you lose.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You definitely don't have a $900 brick on your hands. At the VERY worst, you're looking at a $79 repair.

That said, Apple has a way of being very good about repairing items just out of warranty. I myself had a $700+ logic board replacement done for free on a MacBook Pro, six months after AppleCare expired on it. Granted though, it was because this was a recognized issue with that model of MacBook Pro. but even though I was both past AppleCare coverage and past the coverage dates for the repair program, they still did it, no charge.

Anyway: it doesn't hurt to take the phone into an Apple store on a Genius appointment and explain the situation. If you took the phone in prior, it helps to have a record of that visit to prove your case. Don't be pushy, but express your concern that these were issues you were having before the coverage expired, but they were intermittent.

The worst thing they can tell you is no. But, they might say yes and swap it out for you for free.

If they DO say no, you still have options. As stated in this thread, Apple will replace the battery out of warranty for $79, which is a far cry from having to buy a whole new phone. And there are cheaper third party options, too.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I would have been very proactive about fixing it.

18. fratey thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough - I'm a software guy and assumed so was the case. Might have to do with that I actually emptied the battery at the same time I updated to iOS 7, which tricked me. Googling says this usually is a temporary remedy.
    Thank you for your very thorough reply! Much appreciated.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

First, you don't have a $900 brick in almost any sense of the word. Since you are talking about an iPhone 5, at current prices, that's maybe a $500 brick. But my smart arse aside...

They may honor it, but since they have been pushing Apple care, they have been doing much less "free" work, from my understanding anyway. Either way, they will replace the phone out of warranty for around $250. Much better than the $500 brick I mentioned. And mountains better than the $900 you mentioned. :)

You can also try and go with a third party battery replacement service. Plenty of people have been happy with this, but I have read some horror stories as well. This service costs in the ballpark of $80, depending on where you go.

EDIT: someone beat me to it. Apple will do the repairs for $80 no less! Sweet deal.

20. fratey thread starter macrumors regular

Not to be that guy, but there are people on Macrumors outside the US. The iPhone 5 new is roughly $750 currently over here.
    Fair enough - but I expect that to be $400 for replacing it in Swedish prices. :)

Let's hope the same applies in Sweden! I'd love for it to be so.

21. Bear macrumors G3

Battery replacement is apparently 695 Krona in Sweden. Remember that the $79 US price is before sales tax. And if it is more than just the battery that is bad, the out of warranty replacement service price for the iPhone 5/5c/5s is 2409 Krona.

22. lordofthereef, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Fair enough. I don't want to be that guy either. But you did quote a price in US dollars...

If I may also say, Apple is going to have different policies in different countries. So if you are asking questions about how well Apple will honor something, it may be helpful to mention you are not in the states, or UK, where the majority of phones are sold, and where the majority of macrumors users likely reside. Just a suggestion :)

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So at current conversion, that's about $105 in Sweden versus maybe $90 (give or take a few $ depending on your area).

That's pretty good news I would say. :)