Does Apple keep certain 'custom' MBP's in stock?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imageWIS, Apr 21, 2014.

1. imageWIS macrumors 65816

Hello All!

I ordered a 13" MBP today and the only change I made was upgrading the RAM to 16GB. Does Apple tend to stock some 'custom' orders for faster shipping or is everything made to order?

Thx!

2. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

They usually have the most popular config in stock, not sure about anything else.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

They'll usually stock the base model, or the "every bell and whistle" model, with nothing in between.

4. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I'm pretty sure each custom order is made to go. Which is kind of neat. To have your own computer made exactly how you want. That's how I got mine :D

5. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

One of the main things Tim Cook did when Jobs hired him in the late 90's to do the day-to-day running of the company (i.e micromanagement) was that he drastically reduced the amount of computers Apple kept in stock. Because of this, for the last few years Apple has had less than a week's worth of stock in storage at any given time.

Thus I don't believe any significant cache of custom order machines is going to fit inside of this stock situation. Commonly this kind of inventory management is called "Just-in-time".

6. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Just out of curiosity, what's the benefit of keeping LESS stock? I would think keeping more would mean faster shipping times.

7. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Having more product in your inventory system incurs more expenses because you have to store and track the products. That also has to be factored in when filing taxes each year, since manufactured products are treated as assets. This is a practice that many large retailers employ as well.

8. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Inventory locks up capital that can be used for other short term purposes. Inventory also increases risk - not just from floods or fire in the warehouse; but also from market swings.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

different Apple stores stock different custom configs. Best way to find out is to call around. I got a 13" rMBP with 8gb RAM/512SSD and a 2.6 ghz i5 from stock at my local apple store.

10. leman macrumors G3

True, but Apple is one of the companies that can get away with having long shipping times ;) And as others have pointed out, having less stock has a number of financial advantages for Apple.