Does Apple keep track of your iPhone returns?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hierobryan, Jul 5, 2009.

1. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

Have any of you returned your iPhones multiple times for the same defect? How many times?

I just swapped out my 3GS today because the music would cut out when traveling by car/motorcycle, but the replacement does the same exact thing. I don't want any hassle when I attempt to make another exchange tomorrow.

2. stevearm macrumors 6502a

3. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

The music cuts out, it doesn't switch tracks. And I have StS off always.

4. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

easy enough to test for that...just disable it in the ipod preferences...

edit: there ya go...he answered that query.

are there any connections that you make to the iphone? ie headphones, iphone to stereo cable...etc...that might come loose when they experience vibrations. Would probably be worth checking those out before trying to replace the 3GS again.

5. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Yes, Apple does keep track of your returns (phone up, give them your serial number and they will have a list of all your previous iPhones). If two are having the same problem then are you sure it's not something that you're doing?

I don't mean to be patronising, but are you sure that you're not playing an album with repeat turned off, so the music ends or accidentally pressing the button to pause the music?

6. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

yes they do keep track.

I had 5 exchanges and on my 6th they told me how sorry they are for giving me bad phones and they "upgraded" me to a 16gig model from 8. :eek:

7. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not that dumb to accidentally pause my music and think it's a defect. What happens is, the music will be playing as normal, then it will stop for a second and continue on. This happens when I'm traveling quickly (by car, motorcycle) and listening through the headphone jack, it doesn't happen when walking, sitting, or standing still. I've thoroughly tested my headphone cable when sitting down and playing music, but I could not get the sound to cut out, so I don't think it's my headphones.

8. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I would think they could but I was always surprised that considerin the ridiculous number of 3G exchanges I had that a Genius would have said something at least one of the times. They never said anything.

9. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I used my iPhone on a 6 hour flight with no issues, I think that would be in the "traveling quickly" category

10. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Perhaps the iPhone is trying to save your life

11. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I tell you one thing, it is very unlikely you received two different phones with the same rare problem. Most likely more related to something else. Unless they said they swapped the phone and gave you same one back.

12. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I have recently read a story about a guy banned by Amazon because he returned too many stuffs.

13. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

No one is saying you are dumb, we don't know you, so we are trying to help you cover all your bases just incase it could be something that slipped by you, but if it's a persistant problem on the iPhones part there's no reason they won't exchange it. The product is not working like it should and you should be helped and given one that works properly. :D good luck!

14. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I get the feeling that my problem could be due to my iphone switching to edge/3G or connecting to whatever cell tower is in the area...kinda like it's using too much system resources so it has to pause the music for a second. Does this sound reasonable?