Does Apple know how many times you've exchanged?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vmflapem, Jan 20, 2014.

1. vmflapem macrumors 6502

Hello,

I've been having so many defective Macbook Retina from this one retail store. I'm planning on visiting a different retail store to get my exchange this time.

However, do they know how many times I've exchanged my macbooks? It didn't say anything on the receipt I got by the way.

I've been doing 3 exchanges so far from that retail store, and I hate having this extremely awkward moment when I'm doing the exchange where I start feeling so bad as if I'm doing something terribly wrong.

Anyways, this time, I'm having an issue with the shut down - it takes 10 ****ing seconds to shut down this 13" 512gb ssd machine, which is clearly not normal.

Any response/tips/advise would be appreciated..

2. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

10 seconds shutdowns are pretty normal, this is not a hardware issue, simply one of OS X's flaws. It used to be super-quick a couple years ago, but seems to get worse with every OS X release now.

My 2008 Aluminium MacBook with a mechanical 5400RPM hard drive used to shut down faster on Leopard than my current 15" rMBP... Good thing I don't reboot often.

3. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

NVM! Problem solved.. it was one of those apps that open on startup.
    Thanks for your response though.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes, the Apple Store has every purchase, exchange, return, Genius appoint, repair on record. And that's worldwide.

I know this because I was trying to return something without a receipt and the guy showed me the list of the hundreds of transactions (many in different countries).

5. judgetr macrumors newbie

what was the application?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Dodged a bullet I see :)

I believe they can and do track your returns so at some point they may say no (Amazon does this) but I don't think you're at the threshold. I've seen people post here who had higher exchanges.

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Looks like you have a software issue at most.

8. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

It was either the Right Zoom or BetterSnapTool.
    I deleted both just to make sure.

----------

Hmm good to hear that im not at the threshold yet. I'm also having one of those yellow screen problems, so I might just fully refund this and order a brand new one online

9. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Unfortunately been there done that, and yes it does happen

10. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

This is true. Since Lion, the shut down has been terribly slow.

However, 10 seconds is really long though. My 2013 15" rMBP doesn't take 10 seconds to shut down.

11. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

Now that I have uninstalled those apps, it takes 2-3 seconds to shut down

12. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Maybe I need to uninstall a couple apps then!

13. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Man, you SSD people are spoiled rotten! (;)). 10 seconds to shut down? Mine usually takes two minutes!
    Good thing I just bought a SSD, hopefully I can get closer to that 2 second mark :D

14. nhhc macrumors newbie

Question about doing exchange for MacBook. Do you get a brand new one or a refurbished unit?

How do you make sure of that?

Thanks.

15. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

If it's with in the 14 day to 30 day period it's brand new at the store in upstate NY, which I'd think would be the same for other's but then again inventories are also different too

16. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Wait. So you returned a few MBP because of this long shut down time and you never checked this???

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Always new. And you know because they pull one out with a retail box in shrink-wrap.

Unlike mobile products like the iPhone, iPad, and iPod, they do not stock refurbished computers in store for people to actively exchange for; it's still much too few exchanges for that happen.

Perhaps this will change in the future with computers becoming mostly non-upgradeable, and not repairable.

18. goMac macrumors 603

That's normal in a lot of situations. Not a defective machine.

For an answer to the original question: Yes, Apple knows. They will eventually tell you they'll only do a refund and no longer exchange.

19. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course not.
    I've exchanged 2 because of random kernel panics and 1 because it froze on setting (startup) the first time i opened it.

----------

OK, so I guess they will never say "no" as long as you're in that 14-day window?