Does apple know if I did a restore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JMB1911, Jul 6, 2010.

1. JMB1911 macrumors regular

When I call apple and they tell me to do a restore, do they know if I did or not? I know when you restore it contacts a server...just wondering if the apple care poeple can see if I did a restore.

thanks

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't think that they can. But if they tell you to restore, why wouldn't you?

3. Andru1313 macrumors regular

I don't think so either. If you take it in they can...

4. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

I know if you take an iPhone to the Apple store when they connect it they can tell, among other things, when the last restore was.

5. JMB1911 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, but this time I happen to know a restore won't help.

They want me to restore as a new phone, and I just don't want to do all that, especially because I know it won't help the problem.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

And just what is the issue that you don't think will be resolved with a restore? The reception or proximity sensor issue?

7. JMB1911 thread starter macrumors regular

well....I dropped my phone in my bowl of oatmeal this morning. It didn't get wet per say, but it plugged up most of the holes with oatmeal and now my handset speaker doesnt work...I can't hear callers unless I put my headset in or put them on speaker phone.

go ahead, flame away. who knows, it might start working again. at first it kept saying that "this accessory won't work with this phone" (or something along those lines)

I am assuming that it means having oatmeal plugged into the bottom of the phone isnt designed to work with my phone.

at has since then quit displaying that message so maybe it will work itself out.

8. coasterider macrumors regular

Did you try to blow the oatmeal out with some compressed air? When that stuff dries out it gets pretty loose I think.

9. jellorocks macrumors member

I got pied by a friend last 4th of July holding my iPhone 3G and it had the same message saying this accessory is not made to work with iPhone. I cleaned it out with the tip of a paper towel and used compressed air to try to blow the rest out. It worked fine after a day of drying out :)

10. JMB1911 thread starter macrumors regular

that is a good idea. I will try that.

11. JMB1911 thread starter macrumors regular

Some friend!!

12. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

You can always restore set up as new let them know your still having the problem and when they exchange you can restore from backup instead. If for some reason you have to keep that phone just restore again and this time setup from your backup.

13. mattydee87 macrumors regular

They technically could know if you tried to restore because when restoring it has to make sure the firmware is signed by Apple and contacts them to check but it may be anonymous and doubt they would check even if it weren't

14. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Apple's diagnostic software can (and as a matter of course, it always does) detect the date of the last time you restored your software. This information is stored inside the iPhone itself.

Of course, you could say that when you tried to restore the iPhone, the oatmeal was stuck up inside your iPhone's dock connector and was preventing it from being able to communicate with iTunes. In that case, it would stand to reason that they would have no record of your restore attempt.