Does Apple know if I've unlocked my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djshott, Mar 5, 2009.

1. djshott macrumors newbie

My iPhone has been freezing up, restarting and quitting applications no matter what I do. It just started doing this about 2 weeks ago out of nowhere.

I'm on T-Mobile, and I bought an iPhone through a friend who upgraded to 3G. The phone is still under warranty. If I restore the phone to it's original factory settings, and have a different friend use his AT&T SIM (who also has an iPhone) to take the phone to the Apple store to explain the situation.... will they know it's been unlocked? It's my experience that they don't do much investigation (i.e. they replaced my 80GB iPod Classic without questions).

I need advice on how to get this fixed. I've restored, removed, and restarted... but no matter what... the problem persists. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING is fixing this issue.

2. specify macrumors regular

If it's restored aka "relocked", then they can't tell.

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

Well, you don't have a warranty. You violated the terms of the Apple warranty. :eek::eek:

If your OS and Baseband levels match then yes, it would be harder for the Genius to determine if you voided the warranty. What level is your phone? We need both the OS Level and the Baseband level?

Does the problem happen after a clean restore with no add-on apps? Restore it and run it for 30-60 minutes and let the logs capture some data. That way when you go in and lie to the Genius at least there will be some data for them to review.

You do know that to original iPhone (Factory restored and AT&T Carrer locked) requires the SIM to be paired with the iPhone, right? :eek:

Dave

4. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

does the iphone freeze up when it is restored on the ATT network not jailbroken?

5. djshott thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware that I personally did void the warrenty. I'm wondering, theoretically... how would I be able to fool Apple into thinking that this is a legit iPhone? In the most extravagant of scenarios... what would I have to do to get Apple to fix my phone. I'd even be willing to pay them for the repair/replacement, but I know that if they know the true story, they wouldn't help me... so help me somebody.... PLEASE. I can't get AT&T, due to a jobless for over a year, my credit is ruined, and I'm stuck with T-Mobile, and I just want my iPhone to work properly (which it did for over 2 months, this problem came out of nowhere)

Example: If my friend who has an iPhone with AT&T (if he puts his SIM in my iPhone, claiming my phone to be his) said he dropped his original iPhone in the pool, and stated that HE had a friend that was upgrading to 3G right after purchasing the ORIGINAL iPhone just gave him the 2G, if it's still under warranty, and it "hasn't" been unlocked... what would Apple do?

PS - (newb alert) How do I find the baseband?

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just restore it and put any SIM card in it, since it's the v1 iPhone there is no contract with a subsidized iPhone, b/c most of those iPhones are just added to current contracts and a data plan is added, but there's no required extension of your contract; you'll be OK, my brother has the same situation and he restores and puts his wife's SIM card (AT&T) and he's had five replacements for different issues and the Apple Store has not detected his JB or UL; his AppleCare on his v1 iPhone runs out on October 2009...:cool:

7. djshott thread starter macrumors newbie

When you say "put any SIM in it" do mean any AT&T SIM?

And this is no doubt out of the question... but any chance they'll throw me a 3G?

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely any AT&T SIM card will work. There should be a number of v1 iPhone refurbs available since most of the AppleCare v1 iPhones still have warranty on them. But there might be a chance if they are out and they will do a straight across trade; I've seen that happen, when the person just came straight out and asked if they could trade for the 3G 16GB. POOF, it happened...

It's to their benefit to upgrade and get an extra $10 per month out of you...

9. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

they will know. they will find you. they will kill you