Does Apple let you upgrade a component when receiving a replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DieterRams, Sep 13, 2010.

1. DieterRams macrumors regular

I had a genius bar appointment in which I was authorized a replacement machine. I'm wondering if it's possible that, when I speak to Apple on the phone to initiate the replacement process, I can upgrade any of the components and pay the difference (upgrade price) or is it required that I must only get the same exact configured machine? For example, just upgrade the CPU from i5 to i7 only. Is it possible? Thanks

2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

It was possible for me to do so - twice... you just have to expect to pay for the difference in price and be polite when asking. Perhaps you get lucky - depending on the replacement circumstances - and they give you the upgrade as an appeasement.

cheers!

3. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

Not always...I was just offered a replacement but was told I couldn't pay for any upgrades even though the replacement will be custom configured already, so your mileage may vary.

5. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Sadly in Germany, that dosen't seem to be the case. I just called Apple, they said it wouldn't be possible to do that. I'd love to get that Hi-Res display onto my i5 MacBook Pro. :(

6. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Apple let me at least. Went from a C2D iMac to i7. lovely jubley, lah.:D

7. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Hmm... I would like to hear from more people on this as well... I would love to be able to upgrade my screen if anything goes wrong with this one.

8. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Same here. Did you guys all do it in the Apple Store? How much did you pay for your upgrades? Did all upgrades happen in the US or not?

9. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I needed a new hard drive for my white 24" iMac under Applecare at the Sheffield, UK Apple Store at the beginning of the year.

I asked if I could upgrade to a bigger hard drive as 250 MB was proving very limiting. They said no I couldn't upgrade it. Luckily there were no 250 drives, so I got given a 320 MB drive. Not as big as I would have liked to upgrade to, but a welcome addition. Partially made up for the case scratches I found when I got home.

10. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Back in my day, 250 MB drives were expensive, and huge.

Perhaps you're thinking of GB? :p