Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
I had a genius bar appointment in which I was authorized a replacement machine. I'm wondering if it's possible that, when I speak to Apple on the phone to initiate the replacement process, I can upgrade any of the components and pay the difference (upgrade price) or is it required that I must only get the same exact configured machine? For example, just upgrade the CPU from i5 to i7 only. Is it possible? Thanks

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
It was possible for me to do so - twice... you just have to expect to pay for the difference in price and be polite when asking. Perhaps you get lucky - depending on the replacement circumstances - and they give you the upgrade as an appeasement.

cheers!

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Not always...I was just offered a replacement but was told I couldn't pay for any upgrades even though the replacement will be custom configured already, so your mileage may vary.

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Sadly in Germany, that dosen't seem to be the case. I just called Apple, they said it wouldn't be possible to do that. I'd love to get that Hi-Res display onto my i5 MacBook Pro. :(

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
CT
Hmm... I would like to hear from more people on this as well... I would love to be able to upgrade my screen if anything goes wrong with this one.

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Same here. Did you guys all do it in the Apple Store? How much did you pay for your upgrades? Did all upgrades happen in the US or not?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I needed a new hard drive for my white 24" iMac under Applecare at the Sheffield, UK Apple Store at the beginning of the year.

I asked if I could upgrade to a bigger hard drive as 250 MB was proving very limiting. They said no I couldn't upgrade it. Luckily there were no 250 drives, so I got given a 320 MB drive. Not as big as I would have liked to upgrade to, but a welcome addition. Partially made up for the case scratches I found when I got home.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
I needed a new hard drive for my white 24" iMac under Applecare at the Sheffield, UK Apple Store at the beginning of the year.

I asked if I could upgrade to a bigger hard drive as 250 MB was proving very limiting. They said no I couldn't upgrade it. Luckily there were no 250 drives, so I got given a 320 MB drive. Not as big as I would have liked to upgrade to, but a welcome addition. Partially made up for the case scratches I found when I got home.

Back in my day, 250 MB drives were expensive, and huge.

Perhaps you're thinking of GB? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.