Does Apple like having rumors released?

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
We're starting to read more info (inside info, rumors ect...) released about the possible (definite) upcoming iMacs, Minis, smaller iPad and then there was the iPhone ect... I think Apple could probably stop the earth from rotating, or at least slow it down if they really wanted to. If there was an unwanted leak in the system, I'm sure they could find a way to make it stop.

G5Dual

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
San Francisco
Rumors.....good?

In fact, rumors, if not 'way off base, can cause a sort of feeding frenzy when the product is finally released. It's like an appetizer.

If the rumors are really out in left field, like the iPhone 4s' purported slick teardrop design "photos" released a few weeks before the reveal, it actually disappoints some, and may hurt sales. But people get over it.

Likewise the iPhone 5's lack of NFC was at least quashed prior to shipping, so folks weren't too disappointed.

But IMHO, Apple still needs to crack down on manufacturers who sneak out photos of pre-release or prototype items.

Comment

Bendrix

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
Good or bad, hype tends to be advantageous for a company or public figure. I don't think they mind. I'm sure some of the rumors are leaked intentionally.

Comment

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Maybe not, but....

Per se I dont think so....but then:

1- Some sources have insider access to Apple doings (The Loop, All Things Digital), with very accurate claims. If Apple dont like rumors, these sources will be scarce

2-Rumors can be good for business

Comment

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Rumors are usually good, but consider the iPhone 5. We knew everything about the new iPhone months before, and when Apple announced it, everyone was just "...Meh...Nothing new...It's everything identical to what we've seen during the last months"

If we hadn't read any rumor about the iPhone 5, the official launch would have been more Apple-ish.

Comment

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Apple love the fanbase and rumours. Its free marketing and more sold units from people hyping it up. SInce they never say anything once can never be 100% sure before its released anyway.

I think when the iphone 4 got lost in a bar, that was a bit above what they like of leaks. But regular leaks like curcuit boards and cables and screens etc...doesn´t really matter, its just free marketing.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.