Does Apple like having rumors released?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMas70, Oct 18, 2012.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

We're starting to read more info (inside info, rumors ect...) released about the possible (definite) upcoming iMacs, Minis, smaller iPad and then there was the iPhone ect... I think Apple could probably stop the earth from rotating, or at least slow it down if they really wanted to. If there was an unwanted leak in the system, I'm sure they could find a way to make it stop.

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Apple is technology company. They're not the Mafia or the Catholic Church.

3. G5Dual macrumors newbie

Rumors.....good?

In fact, rumors, if not 'way off base, can cause a sort of feeding frenzy when the product is finally released. It's like an appetizer.

If the rumors are really out in left field, like the iPhone 4s' purported slick teardrop design "photos" released a few weeks before the reveal, it actually disappoints some, and may hurt sales. But people get over it.

Likewise the iPhone 5's lack of NFC was at least quashed prior to shipping, so folks weren't too disappointed.

But IMHO, Apple still needs to crack down on manufacturers who sneak out photos of pre-release or prototype items.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Or scientology or the Mormons.

5. Bendrix macrumors member

Good or bad, hype tends to be advantageous for a company or public figure. I don't think they mind. I'm sure some of the rumors are leaked intentionally.

6. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Maybe not, but....

Per se I dont think so....but then:

1- Some sources have insider access to Apple doings (The Loop, All Things Digital), with very accurate claims. If Apple dont like rumors, these sources will be scarce

2-Rumors can be good for business

7. lozpop macrumors 6502

Rumors are usually good, but consider the iPhone 5. We knew everything about the new iPhone months before, and when Apple announced it, everyone was just "...Meh...Nothing new...It's everything identical to what we've seen during the last months"

If we hadn't read any rumor about the iPhone 5, the official launch would have been more Apple-ish.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

It's free marketing. Why would apple not want that. How much would they have to pay for all those newspaper articles?

9. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

In some ways they are called controlled leaks. In others, they just can't stop it.

10. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

or Satanists or the Atheists

11. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Apple love the fanbase and rumours. Its free marketing and more sold units from people hyping it up. SInce they never say anything once can never be 100% sure before its released anyway.

I think when the iphone 4 got lost in a bar, that was a bit above what they like of leaks. But regular leaks like curcuit boards and cables and screens etc...doesn´t really matter, its just free marketing.