Does Apple lose income because people jailbreak iPhone/Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by agkm800, Jul 16, 2009.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

If yes, how much does Apple lose because of the jb? Any estimated number out there?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Doju macrumors 68000

4.2million a month.

Really, how do we estimate that? It's practically impossible to come close. :p

And they'd lose some, but not enough to really cry over it. Cracked apps, for example.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Not because of the jailbreaking directly, but potentially Apple would lose 30% every time someone uses a JB app instead of a paid Store app.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

They do not lose on jailbroken apps since those apps are not offered in the Apps store.

They lose potential revenue if the jailbreaker opts to down load cracked apps.

Jailbreaking doesn't cost apple anything. It is how the end user uses the jailbreak that could potentially cost apple.

But as Jessica says "who cares", I surely don't

6. agkm800 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Yeah, this is what I had in mind.

Any articles on this yet?

7. frunze macrumors member

8. keithOrbit macrumors member

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Not at all; Apple still gets paid no matter what JB people do to their iPhones. AT&T's losses are probably more the issue...:eek::eek::eek:

10. Eallan macrumors 6502

You think wrong.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I suggest that you re-read what I said, specifically the "instead of a paid app" part. Sure, Apple won't lose anything if the jailbreaker would never have bought the app, but when they JB instead of paying then yes, Apple loses money.

12. lavinci macrumors 6502

No because when you jailbreak and people forget to restore/Genius finds out, your warranty is void which means you have to shell out money to buy another one.:D

13. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

apple loses NOTHING from the process of jailbreaking..and im sure they actually gain customers because of jailbreaking..Installous may lose apple money but i really dont think so..because thoes people who downloaded the cracked app most likely wouldnt have paid for it in the first place

14. H2K03 macrumors member

The amount is probably small. They only take 30% of app revenue.

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I understand what you said but there are paid apps such as irealsms and many others that are only available if one jailbreaks but not available in the apps store.
    Some have similar functions as ones in the apps store. So there may be additional revenue loss there as well.

16. army91c macrumors 6502a

Not true.... I brought a JB 3g in for dust under the screen that was still JB..... it took some time and some angry words from me but I walked out with a new 3g.

17. The General macrumors 601

$0

Jailbreaking a device that they bought from Apple to run software that Apple doesn't allow and wouldn't make money on anyway... Where in this scenario = money lost by Apple?

[​IMG]

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, since they have to buy the iPhone FROM APPLE to do the jailbreaking, I'm going to say, no, they don't lose any income.

I'll go so far as to say they MAKE MORE because of it, as people get to have more choice.

19. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Well, you got lucky. Apple has no obligation to service your phone.

20. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Normal Jailbreaking...no one loses a dime.

The only place they (and developers) lose money is when someone gets a pirated App Store app via jailbreaking.

21. Gershon macrumors member

Gershon

the app store is safe in apple's hands, its just cydia's video recording that made many of my friends refrain from getting the 3GS, just like me. We have the idea that " why, my iphone has 'video recording too' .. i don't need the 3gs..

that's how apple may lose their revenue IMO

22. phatcat macrumors regular

I would think jailbreaking helps Apple. Most JB apps are ones that are rejected by apple, and there's a lot of folks out there who jailbreak only to unlock their phones for use with other carriers. This is where Apple really makes out - more hardware sales!

ATT is the only one to seriously lose out as other SIM cards will work in an unlocked iphone keeping iphone users on non ATT contracts longer.