Does apple modify refurbished products as they come in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbg232, Mar 5, 2008.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I've been watching the apple refurbished store every day for a week now and I've noticed something very strange. I'm in the market for the 17" MBP and every single refurbished model has all the base specs (2GB memory, 160GB HDD), etc, except for the display (which I assume is not changed because it is such a pain to exchange out). I was getting my hopes up fo a 17" high-res with a 200gb 7200 hdd, but it doesn't seem like I will ever find one.

My question is this: When computers come into apple to resell as refurbished, do they switch out the modified components (more ram, larger hdd) for the standard ones (ie take out a BTO 200gb 7200 prm hdd and replace it with the stock 160gb hdd)? If so, are they recycling the modified ram and hdds into new computers?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. Sometimes you'll even get a better spec machine that what you actually purchase! The refurbished store is a discount lottery!

Examples: on the store, you buy a refurb Mac Pro with 250GB/2GB/7600

When you get it, it is actually a 500GB/4GB/X1900!

I've never heard of THREE things being upgraded, but graphics cards, RAM, and HDDs are all candidates for being better than what is advertised.

And you'll never receive a lesser speced machine!

There's really no disadvantage to refurb if you're tight on money. :cool:

3. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

Do you or know of anyone that has experience purchasing a refurb machine through Apple? I am about to as they have the last-gen MBP for $1449 (stock model: 2.2 C2D, 2GB, 120 GB HD) and am curious to know of others experiences.

4. AndyFL macrumors regular

I don't think anyone around here has....

:) Ok ok, sarcasm aside, this forum is filled with posts about recommendations to buy refurbished. Either try a search or take my word for it -- for the $$ savings, you cannot go wrong with refurb (I have a 2.16 MBP refurb, previously had a PBG4Ti refurb).

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

I've bought a few items. Expect it to look nearly new but it will come in a pain brown box. A very few units will be upgraded and have better specs but don't count on that it's a 1 or 2 percent case.

You'll get an as-new product for a discounted price. The think that sold me was that Apple gives you the normal warranty on refurbs. Most others only offer 90 days.

6. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I've been searching through finding other peoples opinions as well. Seems everyone has been pretty pleased going the refurb route, so I will give it a shot and purchase a refurb MBP myself. :D

7. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Just bought and received that very refurb MBP. It did just come in a brown box, but it is in perfect condition. Definitely glad I waited til penryn even though I didn't get one! :p

8. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

WHat else I've heard is that very often, apple sells new older gen models as refurbs to justify lowering the price. SO sometimes you will actually be getting a brand new fresh computer!