Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I was considering buying a year of iTunes Match to upgrade around 500 songs I had ripped from CD at a lower bitrate years ago and which the CDs are now a pain to go retrieve from storage (though I do still have them).

However, tonight, I tested deleting a 128kbps AAC file I had ripped more than ten years ago, then hit the "download" button, and it downloaded a "matched" version at 256 AAC. This was on my Mac.

I then emailed that AAC file to my windows machine which does not even have iTunes installed, and Windows played that file without a hitch (as if there is no DRM).

Therefore, does Apple Music now include iTunes Match and therefore, I shouldn't pay for it? Thank you!

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
Yes, it does. See screenshot. I'm not sure if this has always been the case.

The interesting thing is Apple will happily take your money for both, even though iTunes Match is redundant if you have Apple Music.

Compare this to taking out an Apple One sub, any previous subs you have that are superceded (TV+, Apple Music) are automatically cancelled.

I'm currently trying to get a refund for 6 years of paying for iTunes Match on top of Apple Music.

From https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204146

3D29772D-394F-48C5-8675-EC2EC17F20AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: jbachandouris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.