Does Apple Music "learn" on the fly?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Souli, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Souli macrumors member

Hi,
    the answer to my question is probably yes but I just want to make sure. Is Apple Music "learning" what type of music I like just on the fly while I use it? Or do I have to actively tell the program that I liked the song? Depending on if I skipped the song or listened to it the whole way through it should learn my listening preferences or not?

Thanks

2. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I think the heart icon has something to do with it, plus when your first set it up with bubbles with different genres and artist etc

3. MentalFloss macrumors 6502a

MentalFloss

At least I am having the impression that there is some algorithm working in the background, but I have not yet figured it out. I did play a Morten Harket song yesterday, and today, a Morten Harket album appeared in my "For You" suggestions. I created some 80's playlists yesterday and played one of them, and today, I have quite a few more 80's music suggestions on my "For You" page (in fact, the top suggestion is a playlist of 80's hits now), though I can't say whether that depends on songs in my library, songs in my playlist or songs I have actually played and whether skipping or listening all the way through makes any difference.

I'm not sure if Apple will ever reveal how this algorithm actually works.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Beats Music definitely took my listening into account and got more accurate over time but hearting music definitely helps move the process along.