Does Apple Music "learn" on the fly?

Souli

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Hi,
the answer to my question is probably yes but I just want to make sure. Is Apple Music "learning" what type of music I like just on the fly while I use it? Or do I have to actively tell the program that I liked the song? Depending on if I skipped the song or listened to it the whole way through it should learn my listening preferences or not?

Thanks

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Hi,
the answer to my question is probably yes but I just want to make sure. Is Apple Music "learning" what type of music I like just on the fly while I use it? Or do I have to actively tell the program that I liked the song? Depending on if I skipped the song or listened to it the whole way through it should learn my listening preferences or not?
At least I am having the impression that there is some algorithm working in the background, but I have not yet figured it out. I did play a Morten Harket song yesterday, and today, a Morten Harket album appeared in my "For You" suggestions. I created some 80's playlists yesterday and played one of them, and today, I have quite a few more 80's music suggestions on my "For You" page (in fact, the top suggestion is a playlist of 80's hits now), though I can't say whether that depends on songs in my library, songs in my playlist or songs I have actually played and whether skipping or listening all the way through makes any difference.

I'm not sure if Apple will ever reveal how this algorithm actually works.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Beats Music definitely took my listening into account and got more accurate over time but hearting music definitely helps move the process along.