Does Apple need to condense the iPad lineup?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Noble Actual, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Apple is currently selling 5 iPad models
    - iPad Pro
    - iPad Air 2
    - iPad Air
    - iPad mini 4
    - iPad mini 2

The # makes no sense especially since they can't even come up with what they want. A couple years ago, went with "the new-", then they changed it (#generation). and now its numbers.

Some of them have Touch ID.

None of them have 3D touch.

Some only have 1GB which already have some refresh/memory shortage problems.

Only iPad Pro supports Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard.

Can't imagine how confusing all this crap sounds to someone who has no idea. Its kinda strange to see Apple just kind of not have a plan for iPads and get confused themselves.

Also anyone notice how Apple is converging the MacBook lineup but diverging the iPad lineup?

2. profets macrumors 68040

I think it could be simplified. Right off the bat it would have been nicer to keep the iPad mini 3 in place of the mini 2. Is Touch ID going to affect margins that much? Looks silly seeing mini 2 and mini 4.

But even beyond that, I felt like they originally kept previous versions so they could hit more price points. But now there's too much. With the iPod touch, iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro you cover a large range of price points, and all up to date hardware with A8, A8X and A9X. Would be simpler I think for consumers to choose the physical size of the iPad they like and the storage capacity.

Edit, forgot to mention the naming - would be nice to drop the numbers, treat them more like Macs - iPad mini, iPad Air, iPad Pro.