Does apple need to "Snow Leopard" IOS8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by magicschoolbus, Oct 6, 2014.

1. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

And by this I mean taking the junk out..

Does anyone else feel iOS8 has just become... well, clunky?

For instance, my iPad Air will not open links on the first click- the scrolling is not responsive, the animations lag as well..

The 5S is a similar experience for me.

I just feel like IOS8 is a very clunky- dare I say Microsoft type of roll out- and lets not even get into Apple bricking everyones phone a few weeks ago with that piss poor update- not to mention bluetooth issues, battery life, etc..

I am normally not one to complain about software rollouts- I was one of the few that thought the iOS7 rollouts was pretty good and really enjoyed using it upon first use.

But iOS8 just seems clunky, slow, and really his killed the pleasure of me using my apple devices..

Does anyone else think Apple needs to trim down IOS, like Snow Leopard did to Leopard?

Discuss.

And yes, both updates have been "fresh installs.."

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Probably with 8.2. iOS 8.1 seems to be equivalent to iOS 7.0.3 from last year.

3. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

I don't know if you remember but Snow Leopard was a total mess when it launched; it even deleted data after upgrading from Leopard on some computers. I say this because SL is regarded as the best OS X version in history (regarding stability), but that was after the point releases, not on 10.6.0.

What we should be asking is if Apple should point release iOS 8 the same way they point released SL. Remember iOS 7 when 7.0.0 launched: A TOTAL MESS, lag, crashes, apps not compatible, etc.... Now 7.1.2 is remembered as a very stable point release.

Finally, I'm sure Apple will '7.1.2' iOS 8 with each passing point release. I can tell from the first 8.1 beta that they're really fixing stuff. And I hope that for iOS 9, development starts MONTHS before. I feel a sense of pressure because WWDC is on a fixed date and new iPhones (when new iOS releases happen) is also kinda fixed. That has been a problem for two consecutive iOS versions now. Now THAT needs to be fixed.

4. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

I disagree with that one point in bold.

Windows releases have never been clunky since Windows 7. Windows 7, 8, 8.1 have all been extremely stable and bug free at launch. I would say that they were not even laggy like iOS 8 is.

Heck, even Windows 10 preview which released few days back is stable and quite smooth in-spite of being a beta1 release.

Microsoft's operating system (8 & 10 beta) only suck in UI design and friendliness but are not clunky or slow.
    iOS 8 sucks in performance and stability.

5. cynics macrumors G4

I've felt that way about iOS for years. Probably starting in iOS 5/6.

It feels like the same old iOS with features jammed into it kicking and screaming. Like desktop mode being accessed through the unified search bar. Little things like that.

Settings feel redundant and by that I mean multiple ways to access the same things like location services through privacy and restrictions, or iCloud through iCloud and usage. Each offers the same and slightly different options depending on which method you want to use to access them. I've often heard people say "I don't have that option" only because they accessed something the wrong way.

I don't even feel like Apple knows what they are doing with it. Photos for example, change it (iOS 8), then change it back...kind of (iOS 8.1), compromising (which generally means half assing) all along the way.

Released with obvious incompatibilities to Apples very own desktop OS. What in the world were they thinking? iMessage group messaging is a mess in combination with Mavericks. iCloud drive? Come on. I know I should be patient but why not delay one or the other until its all ready to be released?

A bug list that is a mile long. I have a few very annoying bugs that effect both my iPhones (mostly with location based reminders or the lack thereof and iMessage).

Thats just my opinion. I know many here cannot see fault in Apple and thats fine I'm not trying to change your opinion. I'm just voicing mine.

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah iOS 8 needs a **** ton of cleaning up. Like this health app bug I have going. And the weather app. If you switch between the list view and the detail view it drops frames. Dude I have a iPhone 6! That **** isn't expectable. Maybe for a 4s but sure not a 6! And if you tap on a folder the mother ****ing corners do some weird **** when they finish the animation. And there is a bunch of other things! Apple needs to hire a huge test team. Just have them sit down and use the OS all day. Then tell the developers to fix the problems that they find. I'm talking HUGE test team

Attached Files:

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah settings is annoying. Everything is everywhere. When using the settings app I can't help but say "Wtf is going on in here".
    And photos is a half ass mess. They take out camera roll something that was clearly wanted just to say "oops we'll put it back"

8. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Yeah, people seem to forget just how unstable OS X Snow Leopard was at version 10.6.0 and how many applications it broke until developers caught up with updates of their own.

And even now, people forget how unstable iOS 7.0 was. Just in terms of crashes and random resets, iOS 8.0.2 is well ahead of where iOS 7 was at this time last year. The "white screen of death" didn't get fixed until version 7.0.4. iOS 8.0.2 doesn't have that kind of showstopper flaw -- just a lot of annoying bugs that will get taken care of due time.

As far as doing a "Snow Leopard" iOS, the pace of the mobile industry runs much faster. Recall that Leopard took 2 1/2 years of development, while Snow Leopard took nearly 2 years. Snow Leopard was famous for having "zero new features." However, it also retooled the code base and introduced a true 64-bit boot mode.

iOS 7 reworked the UI, but didn't tinker with the code base as much, with the major exception of the 64-bit transition. Going to 64-bit made iOS 7 run a lot less reliably on A7 devices.

iOS 8 is a major revision to the code base, with 4,000 new APIs, extensions, and Swift. In that way it's more similar to Leopard in how much new capability it adds for developers. Can Apple stand pat and spend the next year or two just optimizing code? I'm not sure Apple can do that, given how rapidly the mobile market evolves.

9. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I had iOS 7 on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 and it was a bit on the slower side till 7.0.4 but NOWHERE near as buggy as iOS 8, and that was on the oldest supported software. iOS 8 needed more time in dev.

10. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

If I was you, I wouldn't bother writing too much trying to explain a lot (not all) of perpetual moaners....

Wait until iOS 9 is out and suddenly iOS 8 will be the best iOS there was, since sliced bread and wheel was invented....

Every year with new iOS being released, this story of moaning and complaining continues... you can almost write the threads for iOS 9 in advance....

11. Khakimzhan macrumors newbie

If you will actually pay attention, nobody is saying that 7.0 was a great OS. It was abysmal with ton of different bugs! However, many of us were more patient - new UI, no Forstall on the team. And now - we are getting the very same story (even worse one), that is just unacceptable!

It is two iterations we are getting "beta" class products

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Actually many people have been saying it was fine and even good, especially more so since iOS 7.1.

13. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

I recall a study indicating that iOS 7 crashed twice as often on the iPhone 5s compared to the 5. Except in the case of the A7-powered devices, the iOS 7 code base was largely left intact, as iOS 7 focused on the UI revisions. With the A7, you not only had a new CPU architecture, you also had a recompiled OS and preinstalled apps all running 64-bit.

On my 5s, iOS 8.0.2 is a far cry from the frequent crashes and resets that accompanied iOS 7.0 through 7.0.3. Aside from random bugs that cropped up on Bluetooth (and have yet to reappear after I paired the Bluetooth devices over again a couple of days ago), 8.0.2 has been quite stable and fast for me.

14. Imory macrumors 6502a

No way! You have the weather app dropping frames on your iPhone 6?! Damn what an awful buggy mess this is. That's completely unacceptable given the hardware. Both of my 5s's drop frames going between the list view and the detailed view, but I thought that was a result of them not optimizing or squashing a bug with A7 related to iOS 8. Just terrible.

15. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Cast your mind back to iPhone OS 2. I remember it well. It was on my iPhone 3G when I got it.

I lost count of how many times I had to restore the phone. By the third point release, it was fine.

iPhone OS 3.

Drained my battery to hell, and many apps didn't work. A few point releases down the line. All was well.

iOS 4.

They never did get it to run at an acceptable speed on an iPhone 3G.

iOS 5.

Battery life again! Fixed on point releases

iOS 6.

Maps (despite many bug reports by me and others prior to release), and app incompatibilities. Oh and poor battery life, and slow performance. All except maps fixed on point releases

iOS 7.

Crash city. Fixed on point releases.

iOS 8.

See above. I expect point releases will fix most of it. Indeed 8.1 Beta seems to go a long way to sorting out many of the issues.

Releasing poor major releases is nothing new.

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yep every single time. It really is just sad. This is not expectable.