Does Apple Pay support those Visa/Mastercard Pre-Paid cards?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by SRLMJ23, Oct 24, 2014.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Since I do not have a bank in my area that supports Apple Pay yet, I was wondering if you can use those Visa/Mastercard/Amex pre-paid cards you see at many stores?

It would be a good alternative for many who do not have a bank that supports Apple Pay yet, or for those who do not want to switch banks.

It would make sense that it would work because it is all handled by MC/Visa/Amex and we know that they support Apple Pay.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

:apple:

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I was wondering about this as well. Wouldn't be difficult to get a reloadable prepaid Visa from the States ;)

3. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I believe that the ones that you can just pickup at a grocery store are not supported, but there are a few banks in the list here with a check for prepaid card support:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/10/21/apple-pay-supported-credit-cards/

I'm not entirely certain how you get a prepaid card from a major bank... whether you can do it online or if you need to walk into a branch or what, but it looks like there may be some options.

Edited to add: Actually, that said, I think I have seen some Amex prepaid cards in grocery stores and according to that list Amex prepaid cards are supported, so that might be a possibility too.

4. Seannyb macrumors member

Seannyb

No banks in New York City that support Apple Pay?! ;)
    Looks like you can load prepaid Visas/MC but they have to be issued by a bank. Cards need to be verified by a bank to work.

5. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I am a little while outside of the City, so I am stuck with some of the local banks. There is a Wells Fargo here, but I really do not feel like switching banks as I have my online auto-bill pay setup etc...

I will give my bank until November-ish to see if they announce support or not. If not by the end of November I will probably go to Wells Fargo.

We used to have Bank Of America's all over the place here, but BoA sold these smaller branches to a few different small banks which do not support Apple Pay yet so Wells Fargo is my option now, unless I drive down to the City and open a Bank Of America account...ohh the choices.

First World problems, haha.