Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
On my iPhone X, I just tried to double-click the side button, but the screen just turned on and off quickly. Kept trying, sane result. No Apple Pay popup.

Then in the settings, I found that it’s actually an option, and mine was turned off. I turned it on and tried it, and it came up just fine. But then that introduced an annoying delay when turning the screen off, which I couldn’t stand. I am used to the instant off when I press the side button. So I turned the double-click option back off.

So my question is... can I still use Apple Pay without the double-click? Like will it initiate if I put my phone near a reader, then I’ll just have to authenticate with FaceID? I’ve been using my Apple Watch for payments so I never use the phone. Never really tested it out.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
On my iPhone X, I just tried to double-click the side button, but the screen just turned on and off quickly. Kept trying, sane result. No Apple Pay popup.

Then in the settings, I found that it’s actually an option, and mine was turned off. I turned it on and tried it, and it came up just fine. But then that introduced an annoying delay when turning the screen off, which I couldn’t stand. I am used to the instant off when I press the side button. So I turned the double-click option back off.

So my question is... can I still use Apple Pay without the double-click? Like will it initiate if I put my phone near a reader, then I’ll just have to authenticate with FaceID? I’ve been using my Apple Watch for payments so I never use the phone. Never really tested it out.
You can do it like that, or you can bring up Apple Pay from the Wallet app.

I hate that delay too, so I'm pulling up Wallet from my Control Center.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You can also manually open wallet or you can ask Siri to open wallet. But it won't open unless you summons it one way or another.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’m not on iPhone X but the Apple Pay option appears the minute I bring the phone close to a contactless terminal.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
The key is to double click slowly. I was at Panera yesterday and I was double clicking too fast and it wasn't working.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I’ll just leave double-click off then! As long as I can still use Apple Pay that’s fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.