Does Apple provide scratch removal / steel polishing at Genius Bar?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by melman101, Apr 27, 2015.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

Let's say your Apple Watch Stainless Steel model gets scratched on the steel portion. Does Apple provide buffing / steel polishing services at the Genius Bar? Has anyone asked?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I seriously doubt it. They'll focus their energy on selling you the newest model every year.

3. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Any Jeweler including the $10 repair mall kiosks will do this service. No need for the Genius bar to add Jewelers polishing equipment, good grief.

4. maxprice macrumors member

I have been collecting good time pieces for a while now and my favorite watch is a Burberry stainless steal. I have had it for 8 years but with the amount that I wear it would be equivalent to no less than 5 years of normal use. It is just now getting a few scuffs that are barely noticeable. A good jeweler (not the middle of the mall guy) can professionally restore your watch back to new every 3-5 years and by professionally polishing it right back up. This is why I decided on the SS option myself and I'm expecting with all of apples media hype on their special metals and metalologists that there would be better than the market standard.

5. McPhallus macrumors regular

You can polish it yourself pretty easily, as long as it isn't banged up (I.e., major dents). Just use a polishing cloth or metal polish and a paper towel.

6. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

It'll probably be obsolete by the time you need to get it polished. Unless they plan to allow upgrades of internals from year to year. (Doubtful)

7. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

Just remember that polishing removes a small amount of the metal, so you don't want to do it frequently

8. lchlch macrumors 6502a

It'll never get to obsolete if Apple plan do rely on the iPhone as a coprocessor. As a faster phone will mean a faster watch.

9. whatos macrumors 6502a

While I have a robust collection and favor my top tier handmade Swiss Chronographs, the Burberry watch you mention is both a very nice watch, a very durable watch, but it's also an incredible bargain for the quality. Several of my Watch enthusiast friends have them and wear them daily.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't polish your watch every time you get a scratch.

Wait say 3 years down the line, then refinish it.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

If they're going to sell it like jewelry, then they should provide jeweler like support as well.

If I were Apple, I'd create a little automatic Watch polisher gizmo for the Stores (perhaps even with clear sides so you could watch the little robotic polishing wheels moving around), and charge a pretty penny for the service. Maybe even sell monthly polishing contracts.

I think a lot of Apple buyers would love this extra attention and care.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Oh, trust me, they will sunset an old enough Watch with the newest iPhone. iPhone 8 compatible with Apple Watch v2 and vice versa.

13. mac.cali macrumors 65816

How much will be noticeable for those who plan on upgrading early? That's if they do annual upgrades which I can't see why they won't.

14. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

That seems like a lot of maintenance for a watch. I'll stick with the sports tyvm.

15. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I think it's the same as any piece of jewelry. My wife's ring get's cleaned annually at Tiffany's and it looks the same as the day I bought it. So maintenance on jewelry is just a part of it. The sport really doesn't have any maitenance since you can't polish the body and the glass is more prone to scratches. So once a blemish happens, really nothing you can do other than replace it.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And for people who don't wear metal watches regularly... don't throw away those old toothbrushes; they are great for cleaning your watch once a month or so. There is so much bacteria and crud under that watch (especially if you bought the link bracelet) after a lot of sweating, your wrist will stink if you don't clean the watch regularly.

17. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

There is a processor and plenty of other tech inside in the watch that will be upgraded in v2 (processor, sensors, communications hardware, etc). Trust me v1 will be obsolete in a few years. Maybe less.

18. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Well the processor upgrade doesn't really matter if it's not doing any processing.

Communications won't really change much, minor increments at most (unless there's a new standard around the corner).

Sensors I highly doubt as they are getting pretty close to getting in trouble with the FDA for what they already have (unless the fda change their stance).

So I really can't see it being obsolete anytime soon.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Why should they! If you scratched it, the scratch is not covered under warranty. They would have to set up another table with a crew of 6 doing nothing but polishing out scratches! :p

20. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

How about if they charged $175 for polishing. That is what the Rolex dealer charges me to polish out this once a year and it looks like new afterwards:

After Polishing.jpeg

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Sure, if the Apple case and bands had a complicated shape like that, with different textures to boot.

Of course, the Apple Watch case with its band removed, is shaped more like the sides of a simple rounded metal pill box, so polishing its stainless steel case would be be much easier and quicker (and cheaper).

22. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Because they are selling it as a fashion / jewelry item and that's what jewelry stores do with SS watches.

---

Thanks for the answers, but no one has asked I assume?

23. srshaw macrumors 6502

Do you think people will keep Apple Watches 3-5 years? I suspect in 3 years time my apple watch (when it arrives) will be at the back of a drawer along with some old ipods and old Garmin forerunners etc. I hope I'm wrong though.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would like to be there to see the look on the Geeks face when you ask if they provide buffing services.

Sorry but it is not going to happen. Even though Apple is selling wacthes, it is NOT a jewelry store!:rolleyes:

25. jjlannoo Suspended

Lol some of you need to quit being so anal over the stainless watch. It's gonna get scratches on the body. Be thankful it won't be the crystal.