Does Apple really need to hold a media event for the iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jonnyb098, Oct 11, 2012.

1. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Just like the title says. What do you all think? Personally I see virtually zero need for Apple to hold an event for a new iPad mini unless they do a major refresh to the full size iPad at the same time. Even then it's a stretch.

The mini will be the same device we know and love just in a smaller and thinner package. That's it, plain and simple. Also, when has Apple EVER held event just weeks after another big event?

And to all the people saying they won't do a refresh of the full size, they might. There is a reason they started calling it the "new" iPad. This signals more incremental upgrades like computers.

Discuss.......

2. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

No, they don't hold media events for non-existent devices.

3. guineapig macrumors regular

Just like they never held keynotes to announce the first iPad, or the first iPhone, of the first iPod, or the first iMac, (you get the idea).
    Or any of the upgrades.

4. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

unlike the iPad mini, those products exist.

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

What the OP means is that the concept of an ipad mini, in itself, isn't really ground-breaking enough to warrant its own keynote. It's pretty much just a smaller ipad with most of the same features, I don't see how you can sustain a 90-minute keynote that way.

However, given how part of Apple's success is due to generating hype, they would never allow just a silent refresh on the apple online store. So it's either wait till next March (when they announce the ipad4) or merge it with a list of other unrelated products.

6. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

They are going to sell 10's of millions of these products....you bet they will have a special event to announce it....(with mini balloons and small fireworks thrown in)

PS Never throw fireworks.

7. guineapig macrumors regular

Oh yeah, they were mythically born in a SJ's pocket or in a document envelope or under a velvet cloak at the Yerbabuena or a the Moscone...not a moment before.
    Or maybe you have access to Tim Cook's desk drawer and you know for sure that the iPad mini hasn't ever been discussed.
    Please, shed some light on your deep knowledge of the matter.

8. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

9. adamdr3420 macrumors newbie

adamdr3420

They will orchestrate a Keynote because its Apple and that's what they do. You never know what they could be announcing in it till it happens. All I know is its almost "customary" to hold a keynote for every new product they come out with and the iPad mini is gonna happen.

10. lucas123 macrumors member

Delay is good.

If Apple is smart, they will have an event to announce the iPad Mini a few weeks prior to, and then release it for sale on the biggest shopping day of the year - Black Friday.

I think Apple is smart.

11. adamdr3420 macrumors newbie

adamdr3420

I'm just imagining the carnage that would go down if they did that haha! It would be a blood bath and I would be lying there dead in the middle of it.

12. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Dont forget there was much speculation that ipad mini was going to be announced at the iphone5 event.

13. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Give us a reason why, if not now, Apple will not just come out and say so, and get the customers all upset hoping that it will be released ? Apple will announce a time frame, but on their own time schedule, not ours or someone making the rumor mill run.

14. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I'm sorry it hurts your feelings, but it's a simple fact. I don't need to prove a negative. The iPad mini does not exist. Rumors are not facts. Best of luck in your future endeavors and have a pleasant and productive day.

15. guineapig macrumors regular

Ever heard of Schrodinger's cat?

16. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Yes they do need an event. It causes lots of hype.

17. Ankaa macrumors 6502

18. DanWindel macrumors newbie

I guess so although I doubt it will do anywhere near as good as the Ipad. I am assuming the whole thing won't last long.

19. poloponies macrumors 68030

Does the cat have an iPad?

20. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

The only hype is in rumor blogs. Most consumers wisely pay no attention to the rumors.

21. Ankaa macrumors 6502

As far as I know, it's been on several news (at least here in Germany) and even on CNN.

Most consumers don't pay any attention to apple events either. It's the ads and commercials that will do the trick, afterwards. I bet it will sell itself just miraculously, as always.

That said, I don't think Apple NEEDS an event, however I'm not sure if they might still have one as it somehow is a new product - at least they need to tell costumers why they need to buy this instead of the bigger brother. But than again it's true that there isn't enough to tell about it to fill a whole event...
    Can't remember what the story was with the MBA 11'', though, if there was an announcement of if it just appeared.

22. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Apple never responds to rumors in regards to new products. Once new products are announced, the information will be released. That is always the way Apple has responded to these things

23. Ankaa macrumors 6502

That's not exactly true. They don't respond to rumors about products to come. But they did clearly state there won't be any Netbook, any iPad Mini, ... in the past, as did they exactly say there won't be a Mac Pro Update in 2012. As far as I remember, with some especially persisting rumors they did tell if they were just that: rumors and not going to happen.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my impression.

24. dchao macrumors 6502a

25. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

I don't have cable, haven't had it for years (since I got my gen 1 ATV!), but I am a perfect target for an iPad Mini, as long as it's got good specs. I want a hi-res device that is smaller than the iPad (I have a MacBook Air so I don't want or need another large-display device, plus I have a Kindle which is the most perfect size for holding and reading and carrying and...).

If Apple release an iPad Mini that is a smaller iPad 2, I (as a former IT marketeer) would recommend they *don't* hold a launch event, so as not to invite scorn and ridicule for releasing a product that is inferior to competitors for a higher price. If they release the Mini with *superior* specs, I'd scream it from every rooftop on the planet, "we have a great new device, queue up and give us your money."