Does Apple Refurb store ever actually sell *new* on closeout models?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by inaka, Nov 25, 2013.

1. inaka macrumors 6502

Just wondering, since the 15" classic MacBook Pro (non-retina) is now discontinued, do the overstock of new-in-box models go to the refurb store, or go to authorized resellers like MacMall, etc?

Does the refurb store ever end up selling a brand-spanking new cMBP (with the new box and not the brown refurb box) etc?

Or does every refurb get a new serial/part number and is always a non-new refurb?

Just wondering if anyone knows. Thanks.

2. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I've heard that does happen when new models are released but I can't confirm it.

3. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

I understand you were just wondering - I too would be interested in what Apple does with new "old" stock. But just to be certain - I'm not sure if there's any remotely practical way of using that information to your advantage.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

My theory is much of this stock is sold to authorized retailers at a steep discount, and the savings are passed on to buyers. The MBP in my signature was one of the "ultimate" models Apple used to stock in its stores that included the fastest CPU, a 7200 RPM hard drive, and high-resolution antiglare screen. In late 2011 and early 2012, such a machine would have set you back $2649. Shortly after Apple announced the 2012 MBP lineup, these units became available at MicroCenter stores for as low as $1599.

5. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

Not in Refurb store, but goes to Clearance items.
    I have seen a few Mac's from time to time.

6. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

I bought a refurb in October and actually did a little looking into this. I went to the Apple store and asked if they had any 'old' rMBPs. They did, but they wanted to charge me $1899 for the 15'' base model, so I went and got the same thing on the refub store for $1650.

I figured a $100 discount is not enough incentive for me to help them get rid of their new-old stock. Plus it wasn't worth $150 just to buy new to me.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I can confirm they did it with iPads, I bought one. Serial numbers come back as new and it was in new (not plain box) packaging. I don't remember the number codings as it's been a while but true refurbs start with a different prefix. Problem being obviously that you don't know what you're getting until you get it.