Does Apple Remote Desktop 3 work over Wan?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chiefroastbeef, Feb 23, 2011.

1. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Hello folks,

I currently have a Mac Pro at my office in Hong Kong which I want to be able to access when I am in China (4-5 times in the coming 4 months, and back to the US twice in the coming months. I primarily just want to be able to access any file or photo that I do not have on my MBP which I travel with. I have LogMeIn on my iPad, which sorta works well, I can deal with the speed issues. However, the wake on lan and sleep is what I am having trouble with. I have another app on the iPad that can wake/sleep my Mac Pro, however, it doesn't work well, very inconsistent.

I have been looking into ARD, it seems amazing, however, upon reading on Apple site, nowhere can I find WAN support. It only mentions local network support. Do any of you use ARD on WAN after setting the right port forwards etc, especially from long distances?

I currently use a Time Capsule, so it supports Magic Packets, it just does not work well with my iPad WOL app alongside my Mac Pro.

Thank you for any suggestions!

2. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

I am using ARD3 to control a Mac Mini in Europe. It works great as long as you open the necessary ports in the router. Those being,

3283 TCP/UDP
    5900 TCP

More info on ports here.

There is an easier way if you have the MobileMe service. Just enable "Back to my Mac" on the computers you are using and once again open some ports. Then you won't have to use an other application to control your system, it will always appear on your Finder window.

3. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you very very much for the info! I will get ARD asap! I do have MobileMe, but I want to stop using it asap, since it is purely garbage.

ARD seems like the perfect app, especially with the drag and drop between my computers. With Logmein, the only way to get a file from my remote computer was dragging it into dropbox. This will be awesome!

One more question if you will, does ARD do a good job of waking/sleeping the remote computer? The Wake On Lan app I use on my iPad with my Mac Pro, it works half the time, so I cannot trust it.

Thanks GA.

4. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

ARD does much more than meets the eye. Make sure you refer to the appropriate documentation to learn more about all features. It's primary purpose is to control/monitor multiple Macs in a local network.

I've had no problem waking up my Mac Mini remotely every time.

5. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Thats odd, because ARD on my machine says it can only wake a computer on the same Local Ethernet Subnet. How do you do that?

Otherwise I agree - great product.

6. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

That's true if you go through Manage -> Wake.

However I have found that I am able to control/observe the computer even when it appears to be offline. After that in goes online.

7. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is this easy to figure out how to do? Or must we go to jedi training school to learn how to do it? Since I want to use ARD when I get hundreds/thousands of miles away from my Mac Pro.

Thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it. I will do plenty of research in the mean time. But it is great to know you are using it the way I wish to use it, after some jedi training I suppose. :)

8. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

As most Apple products it is pretty straightforward. I did not go through any complicated settings to control my Mac besides the ports. You will get much more information here plus you can post on the Apple Support Discussions for help.